PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Skua close up

Krijn Trimbos
08-07-2010, 12:58 PM
We were photographing this Skua that was standing on a rock. When it started resting in this pose I crawled closer to get a more intimate portrait of the bird.

C & C are welcome,

Canon EOS 7D 1/1000 f8
ISO 400
Canon 500mm L IS USM + 1.4 Converter

Arthur Morris
08-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Sharp with wonderful detail, sweet light, and a perfect EXP. I find myself wishing that I could see the top of the bird's head. Sometimes we get so excited about getting closer and closer that we actually get too close. The very best image here might have been one made from two meter farther away.

Axel Hildebrandt
08-07-2010, 03:20 PM
I'd love to see this species up close sometime. Great light, details and BG. Another vote for a bit more space at the top and I would run NR on the BG. Where is the second catchlight coming from, water?

Jim Fenton
08-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Lovely image with excellent exposure and sharpness on the head...I wish there were more sharpness in the shoulder and wing feathers and to Artie's comment, this may well have been achievable from a bit further away.

Agree with the previous comments about wanting more of the head in the frame.

Fabs Forns
08-07-2010, 04:26 PM
When you do close portraits, you need extra DOF to cover the shoulder area, usually out of plane. I don't mind not seeing the whole head, if only the eye was more on a ROT placement. Well seen.

Krijn Trimbos
08-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Sharp with wonderful detail, sweet light, and a perfect EXP. I find myself wishing that I could see the top of the bird's head. Sometimes we get so excited about getting closer and closer that we actually get too close. The very best image here might have been one made from two meter farther away.

Thanks for all the comments people!

Funny the different opinions about this shot and its composition/crop. Actually this is a cropped version of the original and I thought this crop worked best. This is a repost closer to the original crop which had still a bit more room on top and left the skua. Hope this slightly wider crop compared to my original post works better for you.

Please let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Krijn

Arthur Morris
08-07-2010, 06:05 PM
The repost is perfect for me. TAT. (Thanks a ton)

ps: Did they ever announce the contest???

Nick Palmieri
08-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Like the re-post , great detail and nice pose.

Axel Hildebrandt
08-09-2010, 12:29 PM
The repost looks great!

Jasper Doest
08-10-2010, 11:25 AM
I prefer the first post....love the composition there. Well thought!