PDA

View Full Version : Ele march in golden light

Marc Mol
08-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Taken one late afternoon in the Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia.
HH from vehicle. This area is a dream for animalscapes.:D

D2Xs 300f/2.8VR ISO250@f/4 trimmed lower FG to create pano.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

http://africaddict.smugmug.com/Nature/SthLuangwa-NP-Zambia-2007/mfm3467a/961179119_Vj7Ww-XL.jpg

Harshad Barve
08-07-2010, 09:04 AM
This area is a dream for animalscapes.:D

Looks like so , one of the best elephantscapes posted here on BPN in recent times , Big congrats
TFS

Morkel Erasmus
08-07-2010, 10:24 AM
REALLY like this Marc - sounds like my kind of destination...awesome light, compo, depth and colours here...

David Thomasson
08-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Excellent! The shadow details in the background have a sort of blue cast, so I played around with various color settings (using masks) to try and bring out the interesting color contrasts between the different kinds of trees in the background.

http://a.imageshack.us/img62/7055/elephantwalk.jpg

Steve Kaluski
08-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Hi Marc, firstly, not sure why the thumbnail is not showing will have a word will Al.

I really like this as it has an almost 3D quality, and it works well in the format. I'm not sure how 'true' the colours are, but think combining the BG of Davids and the FG of yours looks quite good, although the tree on the LHS on your OP dosen't quite fit? Have you applied any masks in your processing?

If you could mange organising then in height order that would have been the icing LOL. nice work.

Steve

Marc Mol
08-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Appreciate the comments guys.

Excellent! The shadow details in the background have a sort of blue cast, so I played around with various color settings (using masks) to try and bring out the interesting color contrasts between the different kinds of trees in the background.

Thanks David, repost is looking good. (Albeit slight red cast in FG tree?)
The sky/foliage blue cast I found was very difficult to fix, would you mind telling me exactly the procedure in CS5?
I would really appreciate it.:)

David Thomasson
08-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks David, repost is looking good. (Albeit slight red cast in FG tree?)
The sky/foliage blue cast I found was very difficult to fix, would you mind telling me exactly the procedure in CS5?
I would really appreciate it.:)

The key is masking the areas you want to adjust ... sky, trees in background, elephants, etc. You can see on the mask
icons below how I applied the different adjustments to different areas.

Since the cast in the trees is blue/cyan, the fix calls for more of the complements, yellow/red. You could do that
with curves, levels, selective color, color balance, etc., whatever you prefer.

The soft light layer is just a white gradient to lighten the sky toward the horizon.

The tree on the left originally looked sort of yellowing green on my monitor, so I tried to adjust that separately on the
hue/sat layer below. I'm sure I didn't get that right.

http://a.imageshack.us/img832/9956/layers.jpg

Marc Mol
08-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Excellent David! Much appreciated.

Ken Watkins
08-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Marc,

The OP seems to have a yellow cast which David has corrected, although I now find the Elephants a ittle to red, but that is probably because I am viewing in IE, Firefox not running again this morning.:(

Ok just got it running again, please forget the red comment