PDA

View Full Version : White-eyed Duck male preening (keep or delete)

Ofer Levy
08-07-2010, 07:40 AM
1D Mark 4, Canon 600 f4 IS, x1.4, 1/3200, f6.3, iso 640, tripod, full Wimberley

Taken here in Sydney a couple of days ago. Light wasn't coming from the "right" direction but I actually like the effect. However, my good friend who always gives me brutal but honest critique told me to put it in the bin.....:confused:
Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Very slight crop for composition

Krijn Trimbos
08-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Hi Ofer,

I wouldn't bin it at all! I love the low angle and preening pose. The head seems to be turned away slightly, but I feel the eye saved you there. Even though the light wasn't comming from the right direction I like the colours and contrast created. Would be tempted to lighten the shadows a tiny bit more with S/H. TFS and again please don't bin it!

Ofer Levy
08-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks Krijn! I am pleased to hear you like it! I see what you mean regarding the shadows - will give it a try.
Would love to hear some more comments.

Scott Frye
08-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Lovely colors and I would take some off the left so the diuck is not so centered -- would be a keeper for me

Randy Stout
08-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Ofer:

I would keep. Because it is a darker colored duck, and the light eye, I think the lighting is not a major issue, IMO.
The colors are rich and warm, great low shooting angle. Perhaps if I had a shot with the head turned a bit more our way to the lighting was a bit more even, I might consider it, but the odds of getting that and the nice preen pose seems unlikely.

Cheers

Randy

David Thomasson
08-07-2010, 10:46 AM
I would keep it and open the shadow details. Try the S/H filter. Mask out the background and apply S/H selectively to the darker parts of the subject.

Or, if you shot raw, generate a second exposure for the shadow details and blend that in.

Axel Hildebrandt
08-07-2010, 11:01 AM
I'm with Krijn and David, great moment captured and some selective lightening might make it even stronger. I might also sharpen the bird a tad more. Did you do something with the foreground? The texture of the water looks a bit unusual.

arash_hazeghi
08-07-2010, 11:37 AM
very nice low angle and preening pose Ofer. well done!

Ivan Sjögren
08-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I would keep it, I really like the action and the coulors of this bird. One of my favourite ducks.

I did some work on it and I hope it that was ok with you.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9708/white20eyed20duck20male.jpg

Axel Hildebrandt
08-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Ivan's repost looks pretty good, the lightened face and sharpening work well.

Arthur Morris
08-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Ivan's repost is excellent. And yes, the head angle is a bit short of perfect. I would say Delete. And send the RAW file to me on a CD. I will gladly supply my Fed-X #. You can mark it "gift."

Ofer Levy
08-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks for your comments guys!
Axel, thanks for the comment. I did not touch the BG - no manipulation at all - not even noise reduction.
Ivan, thank you for the repost! I like it!! You did an excellent job with the shadows. I feel the crop is a bit tight but it does work.

Simon Bennett
08-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Really intersting pose Ofer, definately keep it, Ivan's repost looks good.

christopher galeski
08-08-2010, 04:23 AM
would keep it Ofer,love the colors,and Ivans repost is the one.thanks.