E-TTL II flash metering Evaluative flash metering
Flash Exposure Compensation -1 2/3
Shutter curtain sync 1st-curtain sync
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode AI Focus AF

All comments welcome.

kostas nianiopoulos
08-07-2010, 04:10 AM
super image Jonathan , i wish i could a pose like yours some time to get it , well done !

Julie Kenward
08-07-2010, 07:28 AM
The pose and the details shown are very nice, Jon. The only thing missing is some beautiful light - with the washed out leaf and the muddy colored BG I feel like its not as strong as it could be. You might try adding some vibrance or saturation to the leaf and darkening the BG so it isn't quite so muddy and see if that makes for a stronger overall image. The butterfly is so beautiful but it is missing all the other aesthetics to making it an impactful image. May I ask what your lighting was like? Was it in deep shade by any chance?

Jonathan Ashton
08-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Jules the light was overcast/ dull, I used flash and I toned down the brightness of the leaf using the Burn Tool, the dark background is the dark areas between various wild plants.

Anita Bower
08-07-2010, 11:02 AM
I like how the leaf mimics the edges of the butterfly's wings. Nice angle to the butterfly. I'd clean up a few spots on the leaf and butterfly that are a bit distracting to me. I think you can brighten up the leaf a bit as it does look unnaturally dull. Thanks for sharing.

Ken Childs
08-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Jon, this looks really good but it does look just a bit flat. I think all it needs is a boost in contrast (I'm beginning to sound like a broken record :D.

I just upped the contrast x 8 (legacy) in CS3 and it looks pretty good.

Roman Kurywczak
08-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Hey Jonathan,
Excellent advice given above and I too like the leaf and the shape. I also agree with Ken's recommendation....easy fix to make this one another winner!

Steve Maxson
08-08-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm in agreement with the others, Jonathan. The sharpness and positioning of the butterfly are excellent and I'm OK with the OOF background as it is not solid black. The dullness of the leaf is what is detracting from the image. Some of the suggestions above may result in a dramatic improvement. :)

Paul Lagasi
08-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Jonathan..I'll let the others comment on nits...I like the sharpness, some day when I get to the UK your going to have to show me where you get all these lovely butterflies..I take this image for my records in a heartbeat...nice capture

Jonathan Ashton
08-09-2010, 02:18 AM
Thanks for your comments everyone, I reckon it is a universal do something with that leaf.
Paul if you are over here during one summer I would be delighted to show you around!.