PDA

View Full Version : Twilight in the Sierra, HDR

Dan Brown
08-06-2010, 06:54 PM
This is a 5 image HDR produced with Photomatix, processed with CS3, full frame. C&C welcome.

Camera Model: NIKON D200, tripod mounted
Aperture: 4.8
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 100
Lens: 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6D
Focal length: 48mm
Focal length: 72mm (in 35mm film)
AF mode: MANUAL
Image quality: RAW
White balance: AUTO

Michael Pancier
08-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Some wild purples and pink on this. I think the pines could use a tad more detail. beautiful scene.

Dave Mills
08-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Hi Dan, Interesting range of colors that are appealing. Agree with Michael on the pines hoping to see a bit more detail. The old fence post makes for an interesting foreground subject but it's strength is greatly reduced due to merging and lighting.

Roman Kurywczak
08-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Hey Dan,
Tripod mounted.....why f4.8? Windy? They could be losing sharpness due to DOF. Colors look very nice but the FG appears a bit dark for my tastes.

Dan Brown
08-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Hey Dan,
Tripod mounted.....why f4.8? Windy? They could be losing sharpness due to DOF. Colors look very nice but the FG appears a bit dark for my tastes.

Roman, I don't think that I could shoot a 5 image HDR handheld and maintain full frame? As for the sharpness, the image looks fairly sharp to me prior to upload but you are right, I should have stopped down to f11 or so for more dof.

Nick Palmieri
08-08-2010, 07:18 AM
I like the scene and the color of the sky. I do believe with a 5 image HDR you should have a much better tonal range. I think the shadows/FG are still very dark. I am sure with 5 images they could easily be recovered.

Dan Brown
08-08-2010, 10:35 AM
I like the scene and the color of the sky. I do believe with a 5 image HDR you should have a much better tonal range. I think the shadows/FG are still very dark. I am sure with 5 images they could easily be recovered.

Thanks for the input Nick. My thinking while adjusting the HDR was to keep the scene on the dark side because the shot was made well after sundown but you make a good point, I will have to revisit this one and see what I come up with.