PDA

View Full Version : Coneflower In The Weeds

Mike Moats
08-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Shot through some tall grass to give the coneflower a soft feel. Early morning sun giving some slight sidelighting.

Fuji S5, Tamron 90, Tripod, Natural Light, F3.5

Jonathan Ashton
08-07-2010, 02:18 AM
Lovely light and I really like the background, the more detailed stems on the left compared to those on the right provide a real interest. DOF on the flower looks optimal.
Did you brush it to smooth it, or was it a blurr filter, or just as is?

Mike Moats
08-07-2010, 05:35 AM
Hey Jonathan, this is all natural, I just positioned the lense with some of the weeds in the front, and these weeds softened the image. With a wide open lens the weeds in front of the lens become a soft blur.

Julie Kenward
08-07-2010, 07:24 AM
It does have almost a painted feel to it, Mike...lovely light and a really strong composition IMO. With everything situated on the left side of the frame you gave the light room to come into the photo and I find myself looking over to the right expecting to see the sun itself. Sweet!

Jonathan Ashton
08-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Hey Jonathan, this is all natural, I just positioned the lense with some of the weeds in the front, and these weeds softened the image. With a wide open lens the weeds in front of the lens become a soft blur.

In that case I think the image is doubly rewarding!:)

Jerry van Dijk
08-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Hi Mike, great effect shooting through the weeds and lovely (back?)light. I do wish the coneflower itself had a little less of the green haze.

Anita Bower
08-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Lovely. I especially like the tiny bit of sunlight Nice, soft look. Lovely colors. Well done. It is nice to see one of your images!

Dave Woeller
08-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Stunning image. Thanks for sharing your technique Mike. I only wish I could manage light the way you do

Roman Kurywczak
08-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Hey Mike,
What I love most is that it is all in camera! I really like this for all the above mentioned reasons. I do see Jerry's point.....but that may change the mood and feel too much. I like this as presented but will ask......did you get any with just the RH side stuff as a BG?.......I think that would work too but the flow of light in this is just fantastic! I will have to try that myself some time so thanks for sharing the technique!

Paul Lagasi
08-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Mike this really does feel painterly, I like the softness and composition...well done