PDA

View Full Version : Biscayne Bay

Connie Mier
08-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Taken a couple years ago. As I continue to learn more about the post process, I am going back to older photos and trying out the new skills. For this one, only minor crop due to minor straightening, some work with curves to bring out the whites of the clouds, sharpening, some cloning out of water specks and brightening the mangrove leaves.

Sony a100, 17-75mm
f11, 1/200, ISO200, @26mm, handheld vertically
Thanks for looking
Connie

Ian Cassell
08-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Connie,

I really like this. The reflection of the rainbow is really nice. Did you use a polarizer? It might really help the detail in the sky.

Dave Mills
08-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Hi Connie, The rainbow was really cooperating giving a nice arc over an interesting cloud. I'm debating about cropping half the water up from the bottom.Possibly a stronger reflection would have made up my mind. Have to admit I'm not 100% on that so we'll see what others have to say.

Roman Kurywczak
08-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Hey Connie,
I think the arc of the rainbow adds a lot to this image but before I pass judgement on the reflection at the base.....I want you to try something.....Darken the areas in between the 4 main mangrowes a bit....giving them more seperation from the BG. I'm heading out so can't try it right now.....maybe you or someone else will beat me to it:).....I think it will have a big impact! If no one does....I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Connie Mier
08-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Ian, as much as I shoot on the water, surprisingly I do not use a polarizer. I am seeing more reasons to get one though. Roman, I just got back in town today and will try out your suggestion later today. Something I never would have thought of doing!
Connie

Connie Mier
08-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Roman, here is a repost with your suggestion. I dodged and burned to darken as you suggested but also to lighten the roots of the trees. I see a difference and I think it is for the better. What do you think? Also, Dave, I considered your crop suggestion but I am liking the cloud reflection as well as the overall crop dimension. Thanks guys!
Connie

Roman Kurywczak
08-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Hey Connie,
You were on the right track IMO....but I went a little bolder to show you another option.....levels layers in between the isolated mangroves to darken.....pull down of B/C on sky and FG....some dodging and burning....let me know your thoughts.

Connie Mier
08-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Roman, you version has more pop to it. By B/C I am assuming that it brightness and contrast. And for the layer created between the mangroves, what tool did you use to isolate those areas? Lasso? Thanks for taking the time to work on my photo, I appreciate the help! Looking forward to your macro workshop!:)