PDA

View Full Version : Four thirds camera: purpose?

Hazel Grant
08-06-2010, 02:54 PM
I've been trying to find out more about the four thirds cameras. Can't find out from our local camera shop (the only one in town other than the box stores) because they never heard of them. The new issue of Outdoor Photographer has a good bit of info in it. I'm just wondering what the purpose of them happens to be. Are they are a next stage point and shoot with the inconvenience of having to carry extra lenses or are they an intro into dslr world? or what? any opinions?

William Malacarne
08-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Hazel

See if this helps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Thirds_system

Bill

Flavio Rose
08-06-2010, 10:14 PM
I get the impression the four thirds cameras are dead, being replaced by the "micro four thirds." The idea of these is that by using contrast detect AF and an electronic (or no) viewfinder, you can have a camera the size of a largish compact which gives you superior image quality because it has a considerably larger sensor (1/2 the linear size of full frame versus 1/1.6 for a Canon crop DSLR, 1/1.5 for a Nikon crop DSLR). The "four thirds" died, I think, because its sponsors went after the opportunity that micro four thirds offered.

The micro four third cameras are themselves small but only the tiny 20 mm (40 mm equivalent) prime lenses give you a large-compact-like package (say Canon G11-sized). Zooms are heftier. The micro four thirds cameras and lenses are also quite expensive now, costing a lot more than entry level DSLRs. I would imagine they appeal to those who have a DSLR but use their compact a lot, don't mind the somewhat larger size or the cost, and crave better image quality than they get from their compact.

Hazel Grant
08-08-2010, 07:48 PM
thanks. clears up a lot. Think I'll stick with what I have. :)