PDA

View Full Version : White throated Capuchin Monkey

Richard Unsworth
08-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Hi

Third species for you from Costa Rica.

These are the smart guys and if your'e not careful they will give you a hard time.

Noted for grabbing you possessions.

Canon 40D, 100-400 @400, minimal crop - very close to animal, ISO 400 f 5.6 1/160

Rich

Stu Bowie
08-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Richard, good detail in that inquisitive face. I would try and reduce the highlight area below his chin, and run some NR on the BG.

Richard Unsworth
08-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi Stuart
Quite right , those are 2 issues I knew I would need to deal with; truth is I aint good with either, but I will have a go.

Rich

Steve Kaluski
08-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Richard if you are not comfortable about PS and tinkering with your image, my suggestion would be crop in on the face perhaps, if you are saying that this is a minimal crop. It would eliminate the hotspots, the noise in the BG, and few distracting twigs, but then it might lose the inquisitive feel. Just a thought?

Steve

Richard Unsworth
08-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Hi Steve

Yep that'looks really nice.

I worked out how to kill the BG noise by selecting BG areas and then running Topaz NR ON each -it worked!

Reduced the bright spot by selecting then used channels to cut the glare. I wish there was a way to snatch out this area ; there is in CS5 is there not?

Rich

Alfred Forns
08-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Hi Richard There are ways in CS5 ..or 4 .. or 3 etc but best to crop tight !!!

Tight crop takes away trouble areas and focuses on the compelling part of the image which is the face !!! Great re post Steve !!! ... btw believe it or not had one of those guys as a pet when I was a kid !! ... nasty little critter but did like him !!!

Richard Unsworth
08-06-2010, 12:51 PM
OK

cropped

OMG you had one as a pet; they are pretty nasty! :confused:

Rich

Harshad Barve
08-06-2010, 10:30 PM
Another good looking Monkey and your re post can be best choice
TFS

Ken Watkins
08-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Richard,

Apart from the tecnical problems the OP is my favourite, but then I am not a fan of excessively tight crops.

Looks like Costa Rica is a good place for monkey images.

Richard Unsworth
08-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Hi Ken

Yep Costa Rica is excellent for monkeys but you need to be careful with the regions, for example, the small Titi or Squirrel Monkeys can only be found in the Osa Peninsula, Howlers are widespread; best area for them for us was the Caribbean side.
White faced can turn up most places; sadly non are really as prolific as they were - as with most animals these days.
You should visit it's an amazing little country.

Rich

Marc Mol
08-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Love the mischievous face here Richard.
Had an attempt here using select points in Viveza, darkened the BG and content aware/cloning in CS5

http://africaddict.smugmug.com/photos/961279009_wUVKz-XL.jpg

Richard Unsworth
08-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Hi Marc

Well now I'm amazed :2eyes2: , fantastic transformation you did!

thanks
Rich