PDA

View Full Version : Touch Down

Stu Bowie
08-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Over time, I will admit that I have mastered the take off shots of kingfishers, mainly Giant and Pied Kingfishers. When they take off, they normally fly away for a little while. Now landing is a whole new game. One doesnt actually know where they will land, so its pretty much luck that you are ready for a certain perch. Having said that, Im pretty happy with this landing, right in front of me. I wish the left wing was more spread. This is a female Giant Kingfisher, taken in the Pilanesberg nature reserve about a month ago.

Canon 50D
100-400@ 400mm
1/2000
F/5.6
ISO 640

Exp Comp +0.67
Hand Held

Harshad Barve
08-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Stuartbhai ,

You with Gerrie and Morkelbhai killing us with some gorgeous shots of KF's , This is no exception , Terrific shot
TFS

Axel Hildebrandt
08-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Sharpness, BG and feet about to grab the perch make this one for me and I agree that it would have put it over the top if we could see the underside of the near wing, too. You got a pretty good location there.

Randy Stout
08-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Stuart:
Lovely colors in bird and background. I esp. like the tail flare and feathers leading to it.

Now, if you would just break off that last little bit of perch so it didn't block the wing so much:D

I wish our kingfishers would cooperate!

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
08-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Hey Stuart, very impressive landing image!! Not easy to pull off. Awesome perch and BG. If anything Imight pull off the contrast a bit. Yes a more open front wing would have been the bomb...but that would be asking for too much now wouldn't it!:p

Krijn Trimbos
08-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Agree with the rest regarding the perch, but love the quality of light and colours here. Nice BG as well. Cool shot!

Fabs Forns
08-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Great capture in sweet light. Agree on your self assessment of the wing, and love the fanned tail and colors.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
08-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Stuart, I'd be so happy to have this one in my collection :) Love the quality of light and the colours and I really don't mind the perch. BG is lovely too.

Judy Lynn Malloch
08-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Stunning image Stuart and wonderful timing. Love the beautiful BG that sets this beauty off. Everything else has been mentioned . Big congrats !!!

arash_hazeghi
08-06-2010, 03:11 PM
very nice pose and BG Stuart, well done

Arthur Morris
08-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Killer colors, outstretched feet, light, and sharpness on the face. Amazing how much motion blur in the far wing at 1/2000.

Please share with us how you focused this one.

Eric Diller
08-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Fantastic capture.....well captured and the colors are so vivid!

Stu Bowie
08-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Killer colors, outstretched feet, light, and sharpness on the face. Amazing how much motion blur in the far wing at 1/2000.

Please share with us how you focused this one.
Thank you Artie. With these type of shots, I always use my center focussing point, and I remember seeing her coming, and there werent too many perches for her to choose from. This all happens so fast, and this was the frame which managed to lock focus.

Thank you all for the kind words. Always appreciated.

Kiran Poonacha
08-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Nicely done bhai, all said above, I loved the light and details here..

Arthur Morris
08-07-2010, 04:49 AM
Thank you Artie. With these type of shots, I always use my center focussing point, and I remember seeing her coming, and there werent too many perches for her to choose from. This all happens so fast, and this was the frame which managed to lock focus. Thank you all for the kind words. Always appreciated.

Thanks Stu. I was thinking that you might have pre-focused on the perch and gone to manual focus. Just curious. What you did is more difficult....

Stu Bowie
08-07-2010, 05:10 AM
Thanks Stu. I was thinking that you might have pre-focused on the perch and gone to manual focus. Just curious. What you did is more difficult....

Artie, thanks. As there are numerous places to land/perch, one cant really pre-focus, coz we dont know where the blighters are going. Should I say this was luck;)

Arthur Morris
08-07-2010, 05:41 AM
If you locked focus as you did, that is not luck....

Nico Steenberg
08-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Great timing and comp. Subject is sharp and exposed with good colours against a killer Mankwe bg. Well done Stu !

Stu Bowie
08-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Artie, Nico, thanks a stack.