View Full Version : Dramatic Sunset

Judy Howle
08-05-2010, 10:39 PM
EOS 5D Mark II, f/8 @ 32 mm, 1/200, ISO 250
Processed with Lr, CS5 and Topaz Adjust

Judy

Dave Mills
08-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Hi Judy. Dramatic image with a great sunset. I like how the composition is divided along with the offset sun. Technically the image was handled well however I would have probably gone to a higher fstop. You didn't state if you use a tripod or not which is a valuable tool in landscape photography and would enable you not to be heavily concerned with your SS unless there were moving objects in the image. I also like the shadow in the foreground which is adding interest to that area. Nicely done!

Roman Kurywczak
08-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Hey Judy,
As mentioned above.....very dramatic! I'm ok with the sun placement as it is almost on the ROT position but I can see Peter's point about a bit over.....as it is darkest there on the RH side. I agree with Dave 100% on the tripod......a must have if you are going to be serious.......bad news too.....don't think light.....stability is key in landscapes so light and small won't do the job for the long exposures often required at these times. Unlike Dave though.....I'm not fond of the FG shadow.....as I browser crop it out.....find it more effective.

These are just some ideas to keep in mind for futere trips out because I think this was very well done!

Judy Howle
08-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions, much appreciated. I like the framing OK as it is. I could have moved it a little more to the left and might have liked it better but that was how I shot it. I agree that it would probably look better with the lower shadow cropped off and if I did that I could probably take a little off the right side.

No, I don't use a tripod at the Waterway and yes I know the importance of using a tripod with small apertures and slow shutter speeds. If you are a baby boomer like me, you might remember the song that goes "the old gray mare, she ain't what she used to be". Well that describes me. I don't get around like I used to. I don't stay in one spot, I walk (as fast as I can because a sunset can change drastically in a minute or two) about 150 - 200 yards out to the end of a floating and usually bobbing dock for many of the sunset photos when I want to shoot to the North, South or East, and I couldn't use a tripod there. Sometimes I walk back and forth two or three times to the 2 locations. But I can up the ISO and try to shoot at f16 or f11 and see how that works. I am serious about my photography although it's just a hobby which is why I bought a 5D II and I should use higher ISOs regularly.

Dave Mills
08-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Hi Judy,only pointing out the advantages of using a tripod which would enable you to shoot slow shutter speeds care free.
This thread was made by the first baby boomer born in 1946......

Judy Howle
08-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Yes, no problem, I understand and I do use one when practical and doesn't involve a lot of fast location changes. I'm not technically a baby boomer as I was born in '45.