PDA

View Full Version : Greenbrier - Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Michael Pancier
08-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Taken under perfect cloudy rainy conditions for these type of pics. Only time I actually want light rain and clouds.

5d Mark II + 24-105L @ 24mm with B&W Polarizer
1.7 seconds
f/16
ISO 100

Dave Mills
08-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Hi Michael,that section of the park is a nice area due to the river and a few waterfalls on the way to that location. So true about the best time being overcast days which give you even lighting and at times pop the colors. I like the fact that you seem to have shot this at waters edge and present a sweeping view of the river leading the eye to the rear bridge. This is subjective..but I generally like to see more detail in the water. I also realise due to the lighting you had to have a slow SS in order to get the DOF you needed.When possible I try and get the speed around 1/4 of a sec so I can show movement and detail in the water.(as I said it's subjective)
I might recommend a small crop to just above your name. Won't make much of a difference but reduce the blank area in the FG.

Jackie Schuknecht
08-06-2010, 10:14 PM
I like the scene. I think a crop from the bottom would remove some of the negative space too. Not sure why Dave is recommending 1/4 s. I have seen much longer exposures and the water looks great. Personal taste I guess.

Dave Mills
08-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Hi Jackie, the reason I like that speed because on average the water still has grain in it yet shows a soft movement. I'm generally not crazy about water that is too cotton like. There is some subjectivity...

Jackie Schuknecht
08-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Nice to understand your reasoning Dave, will keep it in mind.

Don Hamilton Jr.
08-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Michael, very nice, love it! The idea on the small crop is a good idea, i'd second that motion. Hey, could you share where this is;as i'm heading over in nov for the first time. Would love to visit and see this bridge, and waterfall. Thks for your assitance here.
TFS
Don