PDA

View Full Version : The Mushrooms of Saturn

Roman Kurywczak
08-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Wanted to share with you guys and gals here in macro....what I've been doing quite a bit of recently. I am getting ready to do a workshop on these on Oct. 23rd with Susan Candelario.....so we've been working on consistency and lighting more than ever. I have posted a few of these in OOTB (will copy it there Jules:o)....but want to open another use for all of you with your macro lens as this is what we use! I have done individual drops with a hole in a soda bottle(or sandwich bag etc.)....but to get collisions such as this.....we use a device called the time machine. After that, you are only limited by your imagination!.......and tolerance for insanity:2eyes2:! I posted the bubble popping in OOTB....here is the bubble intact....trying different collisions. A ton of chemistry involved too to keep the bubble from popping (glycerine).
This one looked like Saturn to me with it's rings......and the wild mushroom that sprouted!.....as you can see......we have spent waaaaayyy to much time on these!
Canon 1D Mark lll with the 100mm macro at f16 for 1.3 sec and ISO 800 with 2 flashes at 1/32 power and gels covering head.

Steve Maxson
08-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Wow, Roman! This is very cool!! I don't know how I would even begin to critique this - but then, I'm not seeing anything that I would want to change in any case. :) :)

kostas nianiopoulos
08-05-2010, 02:49 PM
no words to say , i just sit back and enjoy !!!!!

Paul Lagasi
08-05-2010, 06:39 PM
I echo the above comments ...wow..just look and enjoy

Julie Kenward
08-05-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm so glad YOU have this kind of patience, Roman. What a spectacular image!

OvidiuCavasdan
08-06-2010, 01:02 AM
Cool image! Patience, creativity, skills and lot of work...all rewarded by beautiful images.Congrats!

Ken Childs
08-06-2010, 12:19 PM
This is...like...really groovy, man. :D

Do you have a shot of your setup?

Dave Leroy
08-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Quite an amazing shot Roman and very creative.
Lovely.

Dave

Mike Moats
08-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Hey Roman, this one came out awesome, you're doing a great job with these.

Jonathan Ashton
08-07-2010, 02:26 AM
Roman this is excellent, I have done some water droplets dropping into a crystal glass dish of water which was surrounded by different coloured papers to give a variety of colours in the droplets but I have not used the glycerine to smooth things out. You have inspired me to experiment further, I am looking forward to seeing more of these shots.

Cheryl Flory
08-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Roman, just toooo amazing. Do you have suggestions/tutorial for people without the fancy gear? Is it possible to even get water drop images low-tech?

wow!

Roman Kurywczak
08-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Roman, just toooo amazing. Do you have suggestions/tutorial for people without the fancy gear? Is it possible to even get water drop images low-tech?

wow!

Thanks All! Yes, Cheryl.....you can get a water drop image with low tech gear.....just not a collision like the one above. If you do a you-tube search on water drop photography....it gives you a basic/low tech starting point. I did my first ones using a 2 liter soda bottle, hung from the rafters dropping into a paint tray! Timing was biggest challenge but if the drops come at a consistent rate.....you can capture some cool stuff! Hope this helps and thanks all for the kind words!

Adrian David
08-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Stunning photo!!! You've got to be very patient to capture such beauties...

Grace Scalzo
08-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Holy cow, Roman, this is super cool. DOn't know exactly why but I cannot take my eyes off it. (And I have to get back to work!)

Don Hamilton Jr.
08-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Over the top, we need to get you to do one of these in florida as well! I wonder if the average photographer has the equipment? Super, and totally off the hook!
Don