PDA

View Full Version : In Flight

Jay Sheinfield
08-05-2010, 06:48 AM
I got this last night............I added some convas at the top. Nothing removed, but foreground lower flower was blurred............the BF flew into the upper left corner of the frame, so this is the best comp I could figure..............any ideas, please

Nikon D3s
ISO 1600
1/2500 sec @f/7
490 mm

Roman Kurywczak
08-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Hey Jay,
I know just how difficult these are....so hard to knock a butterfly in flight;)!,,,,but still need to judge it the same way and makes another fine debate subject.....I think you did very well with the sharpness on the body.....and the wing falloff is to be expected.....(i will revisit that in a few)....not sure about the flower positions....and the lower one and left do detract. If the main bloom was on the left...definitely stronger. You can do this in PP'ing if your ethics allow.....but part of the fun is the challenge to get it in camera....so my recommendations are on the wings.

First....body position of the BF is crucial to get a strong image.....you have that. Facing away from you in flight and it looks like they were just landing on some unseen perch.....especially when the wings are tack......which brings me to another recommendation.....use less SS! Yes, I know.....sacrilidgious for me....but in this case I feel more wing blur would be effective! I am starting to believe this anyway as when I look at images that I totally froze the wings....they just look weird most of the time!

Let's see how others feel.

Jay Sheinfield
08-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Hi Roman,

This was a tough one for me...........I was so jazzed getting the BF in flight, but the comp, well. He/she was just taking off from the bottom flower, which I decided not to remove, but rather blur (it was sharp and not cut off). Removing it, and the left blob ws may first inclination, but that felt a bit over the line. I probably should have left it alone. The wings, were neither sharp nor blurred from flight, a slower shutter speed may have been better. Much different from shooting birds! All in all, youi gotta start somewhere.;)

I think there is a larger issue of what to clone out to make the image................I think you are right, the best image is the one you get in the camera, not the one you craft in PP.

Mike Moats
08-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Hey Jay, great capture. It's tough enough capturing a sharp focus of a B-fly in flight, so I won't question the BG.:D

Jonathan Ashton
08-07-2010, 02:38 AM
Very good capture I like the composition, I have read Roman's comments and they do provide food for thought, I think blurred wings would look good provided the head and proboscis were sharp or at any rate something in the head was sharp. I don't mind any of the flowers being where they are - they look credible to me.

Anita Bower
08-08-2010, 04:45 AM
What fun to see a photo of a butterfly flying! I like the "feel" of the butterfly captured here. To me, it looks like the butterfly just left the flower on the right. I would remove the flowers on the bottom and left, and rotate the image a bit counterclockwise. I'm not a butterfly photographer, so take my suggestions with caution. ;)