PDA

View Full Version : Bass Harbor re-visited

Fabs Forns
08-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Another capture in HDR, with a slight different focal length. Same location, since I was not a mountain goat in another life and don't feel comfortable jumping rocks with or without equipment :confused:
This time I did 6 images with 1 stops apart, had time to play and processed it a little cooler (light was cooler too) than the previous posted.
5d2, 24-105/4 L
ISO 200, f/11
From very dark to very light. Tripod and cable release, sitting on rocks with lowered tripod and praying not to fall down.
Processed in Photomatix and enhanced with Nik Color Efex complete.

Roman Kurywczak
08-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Hey Fabs,
You are making me become a fan of HDR's! I like the placement of Bass harbor light and the flow.....but I do have a few tweaks for you to try.....I think a bit of a crop off the right....where the tree touches the frame top....just to the left and proportionally off the bottom....eliminates a few distractions for my tastes. I do think you could tweak the rocks on the left to open up the darkness and perhaps even in the evergreens ....just to even up the tones. Make sense? some small tweaks will put this over the top!

Ron Tnompson
08-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Very nice Fabs, The mood feels almost like a Thomas Kinkade painting. I like the detail in the clouds too. I am looking forward to trying some HDR's in the future after I get more basics down.
Ron Thompson

Dave Mills
08-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Hi Fabs, agree with Romans tweaks. Good comp but the strength of the image is the mood. The HDR effect is pleasing along with an interesting sky and soft light....

Fabs Forns
08-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks for your suggestions, they make sense :)

David Thomasson
08-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Nice ... so nice that I have to ask if those sunbeams are real. :) They look real, so if they aren't, just get your story straight and stick to it!! :cool:

The only problem I have with this image is the bright areas on the foreground rocks. They're so bright, they suggest sunlight coming from upper left ... which obviously can't be, with the sunbeams originating from lower right. (I perhaps should add that I didn't "think" my way to this problem. It was a right-brain kind of thing that jumped at me straight off.)

http://a.imageshack.us/img833/7496/fabs.jpg

Fabs Forns
08-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Hehehehe, pros are pros. I used a sunshine filter :)
Subeam are real :)
Thanks, David, you rule!

Connie Mier
08-06-2010, 06:01 PM
I have to admit, I am not drawn to HDR, but I do like the HDR rocks here very much. Too bad the sky did not give you more dramatic clouds. I'd like to see more of the lighthouse, if you had only stepped to your left about 3 feet, I know, probably not possible and given the tree that would be in the way :).