PDA

View Full Version : False Kiva Ruin

Mike Robinson
08-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Not the best light, but I'll be back to try again this fall. This is a very beautiful, inspirational location at the end of a somewhat difficult short hike in Canyonlands NP. When I started the hike there were beautiful puffy clouds in the sky, but alas when I got there the clouds had moved behind the shadowed cliff on the right side. A trip to Utah can turn even the most dedicated wildlife photographer into an aspiring landscape photographer.
Canon 5DMII, 24-105L at 28mm, f16 @ 1/15ths, circular polarizer, Iso 100

Dave Mills
08-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi Mike, Nice overall view and as stated earlier light would of helped the image.
You wanted to include the wall on the left but by doing so gave the image too much sky and caused an imbalance. After cropping the top I felt the wall on the left wasn't working well and I cropped that out. I also lightened the rocks on the right a bit to show more detail.
I think the kiva makes a great foreground and tells a story. I would definately revisit this site and you can take me with you if it's not too far:D

I also did a bit of S/H to bring the sky out a bit more...

Fabs Forns
08-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Majestic place, Mike. Difficult for us used to catch movement, to concentrate and compose something static.
I like the contrast in Dave repost but prefer the original comp.
Thanks for sharing.

Roman Kurywczak
08-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Hey Mike,
I prefer the OP comp...to me the arc balances the mound on the right......but do see Dave's point since the sky was almost bald......man....your self assesment was right on too......a bit earlier and more clouds.....that would have been killer!

Morkel Erasmus
08-07-2010, 10:35 AM
another vote here for the OP with the arch
these North American desert/rock scapes really make us Africans want to get over there...nice colours and details - looking forward to seeing your return efforts :)