PDA

View Full Version : Central American Squirrel Monkey

Richard Unsworth
08-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Hi

These are the most endangered CA Monkey; found in the Southern area of Costa Rica, particularly the wonderful Osa Peninsula, where this shot was taken just outside the town of Puerto Jimenez

Canon 40D 1/400 @ 380 mm f 5.6 ISO 400 Handheld

Rich

Alfred Forns
08-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Hi Richard Tough shooting these guys since they will be in poor light just about every time For exposure don't worry about blowing the bg ... can't be helped .. just worry about the subject !!! .. from the exposure looks like there was a good bit of light !!!

Composition wise would go wider to show the entire animal or real tight for the head area an a little more .. wish I had a chance to go after one of these guys !!!

Harshad Barve
08-04-2010, 09:14 PM
TFS this Richard , new for me

Composition wise would go wider to show the entire animal or real tight for the head area an a little more .. wish I had a chance to go after one of these guys !!!

+1 here :)

Ken Watkins
08-04-2010, 11:02 PM
A very good effort given the conditions you were under. If you do not have the full tail, I agree with Al and Harshad that a closer head crop would possibly improve this.

Richard Unsworth
08-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Ok all

cropped as the pic was not cropped couldnt get the tail in (or didnt, these guys were very close indeed , most unusual
cant really decide where to crop , any advice?

Ken Watkins
08-06-2010, 12:08 AM
Richard,

I hope you do not mind but I have had a go at your image.

Here is what I did in PS4.

In adjustments I used selective colour to adjust the levels of black white and neutrals to open up the image a little. I also lowered the intensity of the greens.

Then utilising a duplicate layer I sharpened using Smart Sharp, two rounds at 100%, 0.1, Lens Blur.

I then used the eraser to roughly eliminate the BG from the sharpening.

I have not attempted to get rid of the white patches, because I am useless at this, hopefully someone else will be able to help you with this.

Sabyasachi Patra
08-06-2010, 01:58 AM
I agree that a wider composition showing the habitat is better. Ken's version also works. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Richard Unsworth
08-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Thanks all; some great guidance here.

I have reworked for myself as below. I used Topaz sharpen and detail in my effort, along with selective color on the B, G and N.
Will keep working on some of these as I need practice:p

Rich