PDA

View Full Version : Puffin

Rich Steel
08-04-2010, 01:42 AM
Hi

Another image from Norway. The skies were white overhead and I didn't really fancy that as a background to the flight photos. The only option was to photograph the birds as they hit some sunlight that was shining parallel to a cliff in shadow.

Taken with 1DmkIV with 500mm lens at ISO640 F5 1/5000s -2EV

Cheers

Rich

Kiran Poonacha
08-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Loved the spot light effect here, Nice feel to this and not bad under wing details with that -2, nicely done..

Dan Busby
08-04-2010, 08:26 AM
This works nicely for me Rich. The bird stands out well against the dark BG which creates a nice "mood". The spot light really emphasizes the whites on the bird and it's nice and sharp with good eye detail. All good. Very nice!

Daniel Cadieux
08-04-2010, 09:14 AM
I love the dark BG combined with the whites and oranges of the puffin...good decision on your part. I also like the see-through quality of the wing feathers and semi-backlit conditions. I'm torn on the HA. On one hand it seems to be looking at where it will turn and land, but on the other, a better HA towards us (and relative to light angle) likely would have helped light the lower part of the face and bill.

Stu Bowie
08-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Rich, good flying posture with the outspread wings. I like how the light is cast over the head, and good choice of BG.

Arthur Morris
08-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Dramatic lighting, good EXP, and some nice underwing detail. I am not torn as to the head angle. It is poor for this pose; the bird needed to have its head on straight.

Rich Steel
08-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the comments. I think the HA is marginal rather than poor. Daniel hit the nail on the head with his critique and I too would have prefered a slight bit more head turn towards the camera.. As the birds were coming fast they were understandably concentrating on where they were going to land on the cliff. I wonder if the head was turned significantly more towards me how well lit the head would have been given the angle of the light. IT was an interesting situation especially from an exposure point of view.

Cheers

Rich

Aidan Briggs
08-04-2010, 03:46 PM
While the HA is not perfect, I really love the spot light effect. I might even try to enhance it by darkening the rest of the image, although I also like it as is.

Fabs Forns
08-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Love the drama and the spotlight effect on the Puffer's face. Good colors, light eye and sharp. Nicely done, Rich.

Krijn Trimbos
08-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Nice retainment of the details in the shadows, good pose, and spotlight effect. Nice uniform BG. TFS

Austin Thomas
08-05-2010, 05:26 PM
At least you stayed on both feet for this one Rich !!

I really like the dramatic spotlight effect and full credit to you for finding that lighting and background combination on the island. It was certainly "all seasons in a day" when this image was taken and you made the best of the changing and challenging conditions. Well done.

Cheers

Austin

arash_hazeghi
08-06-2010, 01:39 AM
i like this image Rich, agree head angle could be better but still very nice and dramatic. I think lightening the shadows further will also improve. TFS