PDA

View Full Version : Lion cub bookends

Marc Mol
08-04-2010, 01:24 AM
Taken in the Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia Sept '07
These two 5mth old cubs (of 6) sat patiently on this tree whilst waiting for mum to return from a hunt. Selective sharpening on the cubs, almost FF.
DX2s 300f/2.8VR 1/250s ISO400@f/4 & BB flash -1.7EV

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

http://africaddict.smugmug.com/Nature/SthLuangwa-NP-Zambia-2007/mfm1537ba/958044168_8aEjd-XL.jpg

Alfred Forns
08-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Sweet image Marc Like both relaxed poses, working the entire tail and overall feel Might only have a little more room up top? Liking this one a lot !!!

Harshad Barve
08-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Liked this very much Marc , specially BG
TFS

Harshad Barve
08-04-2010, 10:47 PM
I am surprised to see only Two comments here :2eyes2::2eyes2: , May be thread lost in sea of thumbnails

Ken Watkins
08-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Marc,

I rarely use flash, because I rarely go out on night drives mainly because they are usually not allowed in National Parks, this seems to have worked out quite well:D

Definitely needs a little more room at the top which given your BG should be quite easy to add.

The way the black tail tip bebs with the BG is very different for me, overall a good and sharp capyure.

Sid Garige
08-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Excellent flash work Marc.

Marc Mol
08-05-2010, 02:58 AM
Appreciate the comments guys, I do have a little more room at the top of the frame, as I probably cropped a little too close there.

Marc,
I rarely use flash, because I rarely go out on night drives mainly because they are usually not allowed in National Parks, this seems to have worked out quite well:D

That's interesting that you say that Ken, as although I have around only 1/3 total safari days to yourself ;), I have never encountered any problems with flash permission on night drives?
(I don't like to give the predator or prey any advantage when I use it.)
Like yourself, I'm not a huge fan of flash (at night) for wildlife photography, but there are times when it can lend itself useful, the BB flash is not the easiest system to master as you have to get the alignment just right.
Using the D3s these days has allowed much higher keeper rates of low light images without having to use harsh flash light.

Ken Watkins
08-05-2010, 03:48 AM
Appreciate the comments guys, I do have a little more room at the top of the frame, as I probably cropped a little too close there.

That's interesting that you say that Ken, as although I have around only 1/3 total safari days to yourself ;), I have never encountered any problems with flash permission on night drives?
(I don't like to give the predator or prey any advantage when I use it.)
Like yourself, I'm not a huge fan of flash (at night) for wildlife photography, but there are times when it can lend itself useful, the BB flash is not the easiest system to master as you have to get the alignment just right.
Using the D3s these days has allowed much higher keeper rates of low light images without having to use harsh flash light.

Marc,

I think you have misunderstood my comment.

What it is meant to say is that I do not go on night drives much these days as I am not in areas that allow night drives. I do know that some areas are trying to dissuade the use of flash, not just on prey but also predators.

I like to sit around the campfire at night telling tall tales:D

Marc Mol
08-05-2010, 04:58 AM
Marc,

I think you have misunderstood my comment.

What it is meant to say is that I do not go on night drives much these days as I am not in areas that allow night drives. I do know that some areas are trying to dissuade the use of flash, not just on prey but also predators.

I like to sit around the campfire at night telling tall tales:D

Sorry Ken

My apologies.