PDA

View Full Version : Robber Fly with Lunch #2

Paul Lagasi
08-04-2010, 12:44 AM
This was the first image I got of the Robber Fly.

I was trying to get an photo of the little fly, when the Robber Fly came in and stabbed him in the back....you can see the forelimbs raised in pain (really felt sorry for the little guy).

This was first image I took, I used your suggestions (from 1st image), lowered highlights, cropped pano and worked on the background...only thing I could have wished for was more DOF, so the back of the fly was in focus.

My home computer still down, so I hope the colors and brightness of this image are ok..

Thanks for looking...

D300
105 nikor 2.8 macro
1/400
f/9
iso-500
hand held
cropped 50%
a. priority

Jonathan Ashton
08-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Another good image , I think I would be rubbing my eyes too if this robber fly stabbed me! The shot is nicely focussed, I would be tempted to reduce the highlights a little bit.

Matthew Pugh
08-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Hi

Both an interesting and fine image - I feel being highly critical you might have been able to parallal the main subject slightly more for an overall sharply dressed subject look, but that's in an ideal world. And this is pretty neat as seen

All the best
Matthew

Ken Childs
08-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Another fine predator in action shot! I assume your settings were for the hover fly which is why you missed the extra DOF needed for the large fly. If something as cool as this happened right in front of me, I'd get at least 1 quick shot and then worry about changing the settings. :)

Some parts of the leaf look a bit bright and should be toned down but overall it looks pretty good. The important parts are nice and sharp!

Roman Kurywczak
08-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Hey Paul,
Excellent suggestions above and you will see the issues mentioned more on another screen.....so can't add much there. I do want to stress to you how critical the parallel to plane really is at the shallower DOF's......Since I like the angle you have.....only way is to sacrifice the SS for DOF.....but that introduces more BG problems! Welcome to the world of trade-offs!.....it isn't really photography without the fine line of trade-offs!

Julie Kenward
08-05-2010, 07:28 AM
Paul, those back lets of the fly really tell the story here. It's such an interesting image but a bit more DOF would have made it really stand out. Roman's right - macro is all about finding that perfect parallel to the focal plane in an instant when your macro subjects are moving around. You did very well here, though. You're sharp where you need to be and, unfortunately, so was the Robber Fly. :confused: