Metering Mode = CenterWeightedAverage
Flash = Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, return light detected
Focal Length = 105mm
Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Auto white balance
Focal Length In 35mm Film = 157mm
Lens = Nikkor 105mm F:2,8 VR

Early in the morning, low light conditions due to a clouded sky...HH.

Julie Kenward
08-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Nicely done, Adrian! Man, if that main spider string were a bit more in focus I'd say you nailed this one. That's the ony thing I see that bothers me at all about this image. Even as is, it's still right up there as the prey really tells a story here! Lovely when you get that soft, overcast light, isn't it? Makes it worth getting up and going out in the morning. ;)

Ken Childs
08-04-2010, 08:50 AM
The blurry lower web is the only thing wrong with this. Other than that, it looks great! If this is in a location that allows the use of tripod, a smaller aperture would be the way to go.

She should be there for a while so keep an eye on her. Maybe you'll get another chance. :)

Roman Kurywczak
08-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Hey Adrian,
I agree with the excellent advice given above.....if you had the opportunity....tripod would help because at 1/60 sec.....even with flash.....I lose quite a few if there is a breeze. It is possible....but the tripod would eliminate camera shake. I still think you did a very nice job with this.....something to keep in mind next time out.

Steve Maxson
08-04-2010, 01:24 PM
An excellent behavioral image, Adrian! Also, good light and a nice background. I don't really mind the slightly OOF web at the bottom. In addition to the suggestions offered above, next time, you might try for a slightly lower perspective - to my eye it appears that we are looking slightly (but only slightly) down at the spider. A lower viewpoint might also help sharpen up that bottom area of web. These are minor criticisms of an image that I would be happy to have in my files. :)

Adrian David
08-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Thank you very much for your comments! I know very well, that this kind of photography, can be much better, but in this situation it was impossible! I think that is one of my mistakes, that I don't tell the story which "stands" behind the photo...In this case, I've found this spider in open field, full of different kind of weeds and bushes, not higher than one meter. The web of this spider was starting from about 80cm above the ground and near reached the ground at the end. The plane of the web, was not perpendicular to the ground, it was angled toward it...at about 10-15 degrees...I was siting on my knees very low and tried to get in plane with the web, but being in plane with it got the sky in the frame...The BG was very close, and nothing could have been done, without disturbing the spiders web.As you can see fron the exif data I was very close at 0,6 meters from the subject, so I couldn't find a better combination of shutter speed and aperture....Using a tripod was impossible due to the heavy vegetation surrounding that scene. My only hope, is to find in the future, another spider, better positioned...
I hope that this will help you to understand the conditions in which this photo was taken.This is not an excuse for a less perfect photo, it is only an explanation.
It would help me very much to get a feedback from you, because if I don't I may be doomed to repeat the same mistakes, over and over...
Thank you very much for your continuous support and kind guidance!