PDA

View Full Version : waterlily

Dave Mills
08-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Another from Longwood this weekend.The waterlilies weren't cooperating this trip as in the past by not giving me the best angles on many of them. I isolated this example and rotated in PS in order to get the stem in the corner. The black backround wasn't created since they put ink in the ponds which give off that color.
Nikon D300,200mm macro,F22,1/60,twin flash,-2/3 comp,tripod mtd

Ken Childs
08-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Another lovely flower shot, Dave! It looks good as is but I think a slight contrast boost would really make it pop. If it were mine, I'd probably crop a bit from the bottom and the right, just to move the center of the flower slightly away from the center of the image.

Julie Kenward
08-03-2010, 04:50 PM
I agree with a slight contrast boost. It's lovely in the frame and I like it as presented but the "wow" factor is not quite where I think most of your images end up. Very nice presentation and angle.

Dave Mills
08-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Hi, My original has more contrast and it seemed to flatten out a bit after it was sent. Not sure why since others have shown well... I was just comparing the two...

Roman Kurywczak
08-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Hey Dave,
Agree with the contrast boost....it was one of the nicer ones that day!

Ken Childs
08-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Hi, My original has more contrast and it seemed to flatten out a bit after it was sent. Not sure why since others have shown well... I was just comparing the two...
Another thing odd about this is that the file I downloaded looked even flatter than the one in your post. I don't get it! :confused:

Anita Bower
08-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Beautiful angle and color. It seems one needs a 200mm for the waterlilies, and all I have is a 100mm macro. Beautiful!

Dave Mills
08-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Hi Anita, Actually you could probably use a 100mm on some of these since many are near the edge of the ponds. Longwood is in Pa but not sure how far from you. Good place to spend a weekend with the Dupont estate(Winterthur) and Wyeth museum nearby.

Anita Bower
08-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Hi Anita, Actually you could probably use a 100mm on some of these since many are near the edge of the ponds. Longwood is in Pa but not sure how far from you. Good place to spend a weekend with the Dupont estate(Winterthur) and Wyeth museum nearby.
I live in PA about 35 minutes from Longwood. I have a season's pass, but haven't used it much this spring and summer.

Dave Mills
08-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Hi, Great...your just about next door. I have to travel over 2 hours...well worth it though...

Jackie Schuknecht
08-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Love the black BG, contrast looks OK to me. Looks all pretty in focus for f22. Never know how you figure out the flash exposure. Frequent chimping?