Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS @ 400mm
Av mode
1/200"
F14
ISO:400
Canon 430EX: On, Fired (comp -3)
LR & CS3
HH

The proboscis crossing the front leg bugs me a bit.

Gave it a slight CCW rotation.

Roman Kurywczak
08-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Hey Ken,
Yeah...the proboscis....but not enough to take away from the overall image! I am starting to recongnize the flower;)......but a strong comp with a sweet BG. I will give you a suggestion for your setup.....reflector on underside to bounce a bit of light back up.....aluminum foil or stainless potlid work too....if you can lace it on ground below or rig something up with a plamp. Just some other things to try out.....but this is very well done!

Steve Maxson
08-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Another beauty, Ken. I like the vertical comp, the clean background, and the pose with the butterfly facing slightly toward us. If you could squeeze out just a little more sharpness around the butterfly's face, that would take the image up a notch. :)

thijs broekkamp
08-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Nice setting!

Julie Kenward
08-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I bet that tongue wouldn't have bothered you a year ago... ;) Isn't it funny what BPN does to our brains? :D

I agree that this is really beautiful. I'd also add a bit more sharpening to the face and the outside of the front wing. The flower is so sharp that my eye keeps leaving the butterfly for the flower. I think increasing the sharpness of the bf or decreasing the sharpness of the flower - either way - will balance the image a bit more.

Ken Childs
08-04-2010, 08:54 AM
I bet that tongue wouldn't have bothered you a year ago... ;) Isn't it funny what BPN does to our brains? :D
It wouldn't have bothered me 6 months ago!

Anita Bower
08-06-2010, 02:03 PM
I do think a butterfly calendar is in your near future, as someone else commented. Before looking at all the wonderful butterfly images on this forum, I didn't know butterflies had faces. Great shot!