PDA

View Full Version : Monopod with Ballhead, Any Real Advantage?

Richard Mc Donald
08-03-2010, 08:32 AM
I'm trying to decide if I should use a ballhead on a monopod but as yet can't make my mind up.

I'm going to assume there are members here who do so I'd love to hear your opinion on the subject before I take the plunge.

Thanks
Richard

William Malacarne
08-03-2010, 08:47 AM
You didn't say what lens you were using. If it is a super tele I would recommend the head from RRS.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=MH-01-Pro&eq=&Tp=

Bill

Richard Mc Donald
08-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks Bill and sorry, lens is EF 800 f/5.6 on a MKIV.

I'm interested in the Gitzo GM 5541 monopod with the Arco Swiss Z1 ballhead but before I get the plastic out I need to know if the purchase is going to be worthwhile. By that I mean not so much in what brands I buy but the combination advantages versus just a monopod by itself.

Richard

Alfred Forns
08-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Hi Richard Agree with Bill ... don't recommend the ballhead ..go for the RRS

One problem with ballheads is that they flop side to side ... no good .. even with small lenses. All you need is something that will tilt up/down Check out the RRS link !!

William Malacarne
08-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Then a long with a good tripod you will want to get a macro adjusting rail such as....:)

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/items.asp?Cc=MACRO&Bc=

Bill

PS When I first tried to use my ball head, the Arca-Swiss Monoball B1, it was a problem just as Al stated.

Wrong place can some one delete please

Ken Watkins
08-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Richard,

I can confirm that a ball-head is no good for a monopod. I am awaiting delivery of the RRS MH-01, I have it on good authority it will be much better.

Christopher C.M. Cooke
08-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Ball Head is a no no Mono-pod is expensive and on the 800 f/5.6 marginal, wife's shoulder with bean bag is cheaper (teach her to hold her breath on command) and she can also be used to carry the outfit. :)

PS If using wife have good medical insurance. :) :)

Richard Mc Donald
08-04-2010, 06:22 AM
Thanks friends, the light is clearer. :D

David Stephens
08-05-2010, 08:15 AM
I own the A-S Z1 and find it excellent on a tripod (I combine it with the Wimberley Sidekick when using a supertele), but it doesn't cut it on a monopod. Go with the RRS with that lens.

David Pugsley
08-08-2010, 02:29 PM
A HUGE +1 for the RRS MH-01 monopod head. It is a fantastic piece of kit. A ballhead on a monopod is asking for disaster.

Deborah Harrison
08-14-2010, 06:44 PM
I'll add my endorsement to the RRS monopod head - it's worth every cent!

Richard Mc Donald
09-18-2010, 07:19 AM
The RRS MH-01 showed up yesterday, it's not as smooth as I imagined it was going to be, any hassles in a light coat of sowing machine oil (apart from maybe collecting dust in the field)?

David Pugsley
09-18-2010, 09:08 AM
The RRS MH-01 showed up yesterday, it's not as smooth as I imagined it was going to be, any hassles in a light coat of sowing machine oil (apart from maybe collecting dust in the field)?

Odd, as mine is smooth as silk. Send an email to RRS with your concern. They are very prompt and helpful.