PDA

View Full Version : Raspberry Ripple No 4

Nicki Gwynn Jones
08-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Hi Everyone,I don't very often pay a visit to this part of the forum, but thought that I would hang out here this afternoon!This part of a series that I did of tulips using my macro lens and extension tubes. I don't have the specs to hand but as far as I can remember they went something like this.1D 3 Sigma 105mm macro lens @ f/2.8 Various extension tubes!Can't remember the shutter speed but my method was to find lines in the composition that I liked and then move the camera as I pressed the shutter.Natural light, HH. Nothing much in PP.Look forward to your comments and suggestions!Best regards to all,Nicki

Nicki Gwynn Jones
08-03-2010, 08:27 AM
When I started a thread yesterday and today my text got mangled and bunched up (see above). I did not write it like this! Also, I cannot access the smilies - any ideas?

Roman Kurywczak
08-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Hey Nicki,
I'll ask someone to look into the text thing.
I have become quite fond of soft focus images but do feel that they are quite more difficult to execute than images at f32....for me anyway;). Looking at this....I like the flow of colors but for me 2/3 of the brighter area isn't balanced with the bolder upper left colors. I've looked at a few crops.....removing both white v's.....top and bottom and then removing proportionally right.....but again....not quite sure there. Let's see what others chime in.

Julie Kenward
08-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Nicki, I like the front part of the image (rh side) very much. The left hand petal in the BG is bothering me some. I think it's because the orange area is so intense compared to the rest of the image. You might try toning it down a bit or increasing the saturation of the rest of the image to be closer to the bright area. Also, at the top of the back petal there's a small white area top of frame/middle. I'd probably clone the pink right over that to keep the viewer's eye from jumping to that lighter spot and then going out of the frame.

Nice try, girl...keep at it!

Nicki Gwynn Jones
08-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Roman and Jules, thanks so much for your constructive feedback - much appreciated! I do feel that this image works better as a print - some of the subtlety and texture is lost on the screen, and I think that the light from the monitor also rather over-emphasizes the paler areas. I shall certainly clone out that white area at the top - have never even noticed it before!!
Once again, thanks for the suggestions :)

Anita Bower
08-06-2010, 06:34 AM
I'm late to the discussion. I'm in the process of learning what makes a floral abstract work. In looking at this image, I love the colors and curves line. The overall light is lovely. I find my eye goes to the darker area and wants to see more detail there. I'm wondering if Julie's suggestion of making the tones of the peach color more equal, but not totally equal, would give the image a more pleasing balance. As is, it is pleasing and calming.