PDA

View Full Version : Warthog

Steve Kaluski
08-03-2010, 04:03 AM
Another from the short series of shots taken of this family bathing by the airstrip at Bains. The more you look at them, the more detail and character they seem to have and take on. Shot about 1.30pm so the light was harsh.

Converted to B/W then toned with 5% Selenium tinting just to soften it a little.

Steve
MKIII 70-200f/2.8 1/1600 f/8 ISO400 (HH, FF,)
Shot from under the jeep, please DO NOT try this! ;)

Harshad Barve
08-03-2010, 05:01 AM
Excellent image Steve , love the ground level and details , Color version may look better ;)
TFS

Shot from under the jeep, please DO NOT try this

BTW thanks for tip ,;);)

peter delaney
08-03-2010, 05:04 AM
lol... i was just about to upload a warthog in B&W ... will wait awhile now... like this Steve... nice angle, good detail ...

Peter

Hilary Hann
08-03-2010, 06:24 AM
Love the detail in this Steve. Would like the foreground dirt to have either more detail or more density, a bit washed out for my tastes, but realise that give the quality of light this may be as good as it gets. Works very well as a b&w for me, I really like warthogs as they have a lot of interest in their faces.
One question, why ISO400?

Steve Kaluski
08-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks guys.

Harshad the colour just looks washed out due to the harsh light so will probably keep to this, however you never know. :D

Great minds Peter, fire away, think it would be interesting to see the two together. Never hold back, just go for it. ;)

Hilary, agree on the FG but it's almost white so with both the light coloured earth & the harsh light, there was minimal detail. Re 400, it's my default setting, however as there were at least four others there I wanted to freeze any action, or at least, try and retain any mud flinging, fighting etc that might happen.

Cheers everyone.

Steve.

Rachel Hollander
08-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Steve - like this and it works well in b&w. Good detail and comp. The tusks look a little hot, not sure if you can tone them down.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Canuel
08-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Nice low perspective and great detail. I want to see a tighter crop but like the comp you've chosen. Maybe a little darkening/blurring vignette?

Austin Thomas
08-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Great angle Steve and the subject is incredibly sharp.

The OOF foreground is a little stark and not ideal IMHO but that is the price you pay for such a good low angle.

Cheers

Austin

Marc Mol
08-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Lovely comp Steve, with nice detail in the skin & hair with this conversion.
TFS

Shot from under the jeep, please DO NOT try this! ;)

That's like telling a kid not to stick there hand in the cookie jar!! :p:p

Steve Kaluski
08-04-2010, 02:00 AM
I know Marc, I have to say that, however it is down to the individual and the safety of the environment at the time. :D