PDA

View Full Version : not a normal beach image

Stuart Hill
08-02-2010, 05:02 PM
This beach was protected by a sea defence built from WWII rubble. Bombed houses demolished and dumped. This image forms part of a series I've done on the beach.

Nikon d300 + 50mm 1.8.

Critiques wlecomed.
regards.
Stu.

Roman Kurywczak
08-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Hey Stuart,
I think this is effective as a photojounalistic photo.....but w/o a BG story....not sure it has the weight .....even though I really like the B&W conversion as well as the focal point! I do feel that cropping off the dark grey area/line at the top helps.......and while not a traditional landscape.....I am drawn to the story and I feel the comp is done very well.....so I like it! Maybe I'm just a sucker for old things!

Dave Mills
08-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Hi Stuart, I feel you handled the B&W conversion well showing good detail and contrast. Agree on taking out the grey line on top...not really adding anything to the image.
Usually a good photojournalistic image has a story that goes with it. In this case I see a remnant of a building but nothing else that adds context to the image. IMO it needs more within the image to convey a story.

Stuart Hill
08-03-2010, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the reply. I understand to a degree about more in the image for the story as out of context it's a bit weak. How would you see it developing? More beach, more rubble?

kind regards.
Stu.

Dave Mills
08-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Hi Stuart,there are unlimited ways to convey a story.Example being a half demolished building in the backround that the piece was apart of.That would convey a relationship. Obviously there are many times when an object can stand by itself due to its beauty,texture,form,interest etc etc. IMO this object needed more....

Arthur Morris
08-03-2010, 08:39 AM
I like the look and the image design. And even though I am a lover of framing strips I would also vote to lose the gray strip at the top. I find myself wishing that the block of bricks did not have the white facing with the lettering on it.... Had the big block been all bricks and mortar I am thinking that the image would not need a story to go with it. But heck, it is what it is. I do like the angle of the block.

Roman Kurywczak
08-03-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm not quite sure Stuart on how you would convey more story....I like Dave's idea.....but imagine it is just rubble and not whole buildings. I do have an idea perhaps.....maybe a current item....even garbage for example.....I might even leave that in color.....to give a contrast between the older and newer..Make sense? As far as balance....I think you have it right as presented.

Stuart Hill
08-03-2010, 02:04 PM
This is one other from the series that maybe says more. Love the idea of having something modern for contrast. ****! Will have to go back and have another go, fantastic idea!

D300 + 50mm 1.8

Once again. Big thanks for your help.

regards.
Stu.

Roman Kurywczak
08-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Hey Stuart,
I like the repost also and glad yo like the idea! In this case....a sliver more up top! You know you can never make landscapers happy;)!

Fabs Forns
08-04-2010, 08:46 PM
I much prefer the second version, the BG does make a difference.

Stuart Hill
08-05-2010, 03:56 AM
Thanks for the help. Landscape not my usual style but getting to love it.

Thanks again.
Stu.