PDA

View Full Version : Entering Glacier Bay Alaska

David Stephens
08-02-2010, 03:19 PM

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=lookatme><TH>Camera</TH><TD>Canon EOS 5D Mark II (http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_5d_mark_ii/)</TD></TR><TR class=lookatme><TH>Exposure</TH><TD>1/3200 sec</TD></TR><TR class=lookatme><TH>Aperture</TH><TD>f/5.6</TD></TR><TR class=lookatme><TH>Focal Length</TH><TD>24 mm</TD></TR><TR><TH>ISO Speed</TH><TD>200</TD></TR><TR><TH>Exposure Bias</TH><TD>-2/3 EV

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

This was aperture priority using my EF 24-105mm f/4L IS in the late afternoon, shooting from my cabin balcony on the Diamond Princess. Princess bills this cruise as an Inside Passage Glacier Discovery tour. I highly recommend it, or something similar. You can see what I say in my Flickr Set "Alaskan Cruise".

I saw lots of wildlife and the scenics were incredible and plentiful. I had a hard time choosing which one to show here. Blue was the color of the voyage, which really amped up as we neared glaciers.

Alfred Forns
08-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Gorgeous view Dave Took the cruise and can't say enough good things about it !!! ..... just wish I could reproduce the color from the glaciers !!! btw had a friend that took the trip and it was fog all the way through ... did not see anything !!!!!

David Stephens
08-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Yes, I'm torn about what to say to people about the weather. Bob Rozinski led a small boat photo workshop in June, when the weather is supposedly more reliable, and it looks like he got two-weeks of rain and fog. I went in a wet month and got a glorious day in Ketchikan, several good days at sea and Denali even showed itself for me a few other lucky souls for thirty minutes after two-weeks of being socked in, we were told. I was there two-days and only saw the mountain for those thirty-minutes from eighty miles away.

Anyoone taking this trip needs to realize that there's a high risk of bad weather, but it can be glorious and spectacular when the all elements align.

I think I captured the glacial color once or twice. Here's my Fave for color:

I was helped by it getting a little overcast for the image. The blue doesn't show as well when the sun's out. My Flickr Set shows how lucky I was.

Alfred Forns
08-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Agree with Dave and highly recommend going. Even with bad weather you will find something great to shoot ..... Poor weather can make for interesting images and usually dramatic !!!!!!