PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom

Dave Blinder
08-02-2010, 11:15 AM
I've already burned in the highlights a bit. Wasn't paying too much attention to the sunlight coming through at the time and I'm new to the world of mushroom photography.

I used the popup flash on this one.
<table id="Inbox" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="font-size: 120%;" width="30%">Camera:</td> <td style="font-size: 120%;">Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi (http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_digital_rebel_xti/)</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="font-size: 120%;" width="30%">Exposure:</td> <td style="font-size: 120%;">0.017 sec (1/60)</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="font-size: 120%;" width="30%">Aperture:</td> <td style="font-size: 120%;">f/9.0</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="font-size: 120%;" width="30%">Focal Length:</td> <td style="font-size: 120%;">22 mm</td> </tr> <tr> <td>ISO Speed:</td> <td>400</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Exposure Bias:</td> <td>0 EV</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Flash:</td> <td>On, Fired</td></tr></tbody></table>

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4143/4853226695_d6f7366c24_b.jpg

Julie Kenward
08-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Roman knows the world of mushrooms better than I do but there are a few things you can do to help improve on your next image, Dave.

First, if you can't get even light, make it! Try using a diffuser or to get rid of the hot spots that are throughout the forest floor. Choose your camera angles carefully to eliminate as much of the uneven light as you can. If you see a bright spot in your viewfinder, try moving the object a bit to get the light to bounce in another direction. Sometimes just covering one faded leaf with a darker leaf will help.

I like the mushroom itself but see how the top intersects with the horizon of the forest floor? Having that cap either below or above will also give you a stronger composition.

One thing you could do here if you have the PS skills is to clone a bit of darker brown over those hot spots - but, again, doing the housecleaning in field will save you all that time!

Nicki Gwynn Jones
08-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Dave, I agree with Jules' critique, but I really like the pespective that you have here. I also like the light that you have on the mushroom. Look forward to more!

Dave Blinder
08-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks Julie and Nicki, I'll pay better attention to the horizon and light patches next time around.

Roman Kurywczak
08-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Hey Dave,
Yep.....Jules gave you some great advice so will just give you a few more to think about next time out. I like the concept of the angle.....only way to really remedy this is to do it on an overcast day....that will solve 80% of the highlight problems......rest should be more muted also. Be careful on the room at the bottom....and if you are going to use the pop up....dial it down......as I'd imagine you were very close and you want it to lok like a hint of light.....right now it is a bit strong. I also spend more time policing the area....not a total clean up...then it looks too sterile....but look to see what you can remove in the field....to eliminate any distractions. Food for thought next time out.