PDA

View Full Version : Momentary pause

Sabyasachi Patra
08-02-2010, 06:52 AM
This image is from my earlier elephant charging series. This elephant charged and when it was within touching distance, she stopped and paused for a moment and then decided to turnback and flee. After moving away a few paces, it started breaking branches and throwing mud on itself - a sign of redirected aggression.

Bandipur Tiger Reserve, India.

Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EF 300mm f4 L IS USM, ISO 200, f4, 1/250, full frame image.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Rachel Hollander
08-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Sabyasachi - I like the detail but think I would rather have either more room around or an even tighter crop.

TFS,
Rachel

Alfred Forns
08-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Hi Saby Any idea what caused the behavior? With such a large animal you tend to take more notice !! ... btw would take a bit of the right ear to make it look deliberate !!! Great series !!!

Ken Watkins
08-02-2010, 09:13 AM
I agree with the suggestion of more cropped from the LHS.

Al people like to think they understand Elephants but by and large it is all conjecture, mock charging is standard behaviour amonst many Elephants. Thankfully they very rarely go into full on charge:D

Sid Garige
08-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Taking a bit off of the right will balance the image IMO. Very nice exposure.

Sabyasachi Patra
08-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Alfred,
Elephants charge to ward off people. At times it can be just to clear the way. At times it is a mock charge and at times it is serious. If you carefully observe, then the ear, trunk and eyes can give an idea. However, one should remember that one slight mistake, and you are gone. One of India's best known elephant expert was killed in the same Bandipur Tiger Reserve. The difference is that he was on foot and he thought that the elephant was mock charging. He tried to avoid the elephant by running around a big tree. He thought the elephant will follow him. Unfortunately, the elephant proved to be far more intelligent as it stopped and came around the tree and caught him head on.

In this image, I felt the elephant was kind of towering over me. The vehicle was switched off and parked on the side. And I didn't flinch. So at the last moment, the elephant felt that the adversary (vehicle) and occupants are not showing any emotion. That causes nervousness. Even after killing people, elephants show nervousness. One needs to read the body language well. Unfortunately, we can go wrong as each individual elephant's behaviour is different and is also shaped by the experiences it has faced while growing up.

In a place like Bandipur, a road passes through the forest and there is lot of nuisance created by the trucks as well as passenger vehicles. Add to that the people of villages surrounding the forests, who use firecrackers and at times gun shots (unlicensed) to ward of the elephants. The elephants can't help but become aggressive. There are other major issues as well. Unfortunately, the scene is not good for the elephant.

Ken, Evey other day we hear one person trampled to death by an elephant. More often it is due to stupidity of the people. People don't realise how fast the elephant can run. I have seen the speedometer of a jeep and feel that the elephant can run at 40 kilometers per hour. Even Mr. Usain Bolt doesn't run at that speed during the 100 meters sprint race. Once an army truck was pushed over the hill by a bull elephant. I am in awe at their power and intelligence.

I was feeling that the elephant would stop, but it came a bit too close for comfort. Frankly speaking, it was a split second decision to compose. When I look back, I feel happy that I got a sharp shot while handholding in this situation.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

DanWalters
08-02-2010, 07:39 PM
I like the tight crop and the detail in the elephant. Can really sense the power these animals possess!

Ken Watkins
08-03-2010, 02:11 AM
Alfred,

Ken, Evey other day we hear one person trampled to death by an elephant. More often it is due to stupidity of the people. People don't realise how fast the elephant can run. I have seen the speedometer of a jeep and feel that the elephant can run at 40 kilometers per hour. Even Mr. Usain Bolt doesn't run at that speed during the 100 meters sprint race. Once an army truck was pushed over the hill by a bull elephant. I am in awe at their power and intelligence.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sabyasachi,

I would certainly not want to try to outrun an Elephant or anything else:)

Harshad Barve
08-03-2010, 05:02 AM
Excellent , If mine I may go for Tight
TFS