PDA

View Full Version : Elk Refuge

Alfred Forns
08-01-2010, 09:05 PM
From the Elk Refuge at Jackson Wy Image from end of Dec last year, refuge had very little snow and carts had to switch to wheels (from skies) unusual. Lots of animals already with many more arriving. They are fed when grass is not accessible. Program started when their migration was cut off by the town's growth. Excellent opportunity for photographing since they are fully used to the carts going around !!!

Comments welcome and much appreciated

Canon 50D
100-400 IS @400
f 6.3 1/500 sec
Av + 1 1/3
ISO 500

Harshad Barve
08-01-2010, 09:24 PM
excellent pose and beautiful specimen , Do I find some color cast or its me only , excellent image as usual
TFS

Alfred Forns
08-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Harshad this about what it looks like there at the refuge, not much color, snow/ice and lots of reflections We had one before that everyone took a hand at color balancing and trying to neutralize ... its one of those it will change according to taste. btw hoping to visit again and find lots of snow on the ground ... everything else around the refuge had lots of it !!

Harshad Barve
08-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks Alfred for info , I know you love snow ;) Looking forward to see images in snow

Alfred Forns
08-01-2010, 10:34 PM
... been thinking about snow all day with the heat we been having :2eyes2: :cool:

Hilary Hann
08-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Al, I like this image very much. The almost monotone nature of the environment makes the grasses texture really stand out without any colour distraction ;). The side on head positioning gives the antlers a nice place in the frame and the overall tone of the image is beautiful. As far as colour casts, I think these slightly desaturated images will collect colour casts quite quickly as they aren't overwhelmed by saturated colours and I think that is part of the charm of them. The colour cast often comes from surrounding vegetation or other influences out of our view, but add to the intrinsic feel of the photograph. IMHO!! :)

Sabyasachi Patra
08-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Nice eye contact. I like the pose. Good set of antlers. Wish to watch and film elks and wolves in snow someday. Not sure when I will find time. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ken Watkins
08-02-2010, 05:22 AM
I can see no colour cast, I think the BG looks "odd" but totally possible. I seem to remember an image posted by Fabs last year which raised the same comments.

This is great, but I would take a tad from the top to eliminate the dark patches.

Rachel Hollander
08-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Al - I like this a lot. Comp, pose and detail all are spot on. I don't see a color cast either.

TFS,
Rachel

Sid Garige
08-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Good times Al. Dandy buck.

DanWalters
08-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Like the pose of the elk and the frost on the vegetation. Very nice!

Steve Canuel
08-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Nice shot Alfred. You captured the cold nicely and I like the eye contact and texture of the fur. I'd take just a touch off the top (or clone out the brown spots)