PDA

View Full Version : Thin focus

Jay Sheinfield
08-01-2010, 07:46 PM
I don't know the name of this flower, but they are very small. They attract humming birds.
Slight wind was enough to rattle this little flower..........pumped up the ISO and shot wide open for max shutter speed, and this was the result.

Comments welcome.......

Nikon D3s
100mm
ISO 800
1/1600 sec@f/2

Removal of touching stems...........

Roman Kurywczak
08-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Hey Jay,
Almost always with shallow DOF images (rare exception was Anita's abstract below)....you need something in focus to be effective.....I think you have achieved that here! You also have good seperation on most of the bloooms....would have been tempted to pluck the one behing the flower in the 7 o'clock position.....but all in all a very effective use of the shallow DOF and a very pleasing comp and nice BG.

Steve Maxson
08-02-2010, 09:41 AM
I like the colors and composition, Jay, and the effective use of shallow DOF. The only thing that catches my eye is the overlap of blooms at the 7 o'clock position (as noted by Roman) - I think the image would be stronger without the rear blossom. :)

Julie Kenward
08-02-2010, 04:45 PM
I want to say this is honesuckle but am not positive.

I like the comp but think I'd like it even better if you flipped in upside down - but I don't really know why I think that!

Anita Bower
08-05-2010, 04:48 PM
I like how these flowers seem to come out towards me. Nice job with one in focus and the others blurred. Good composition. I, too, think it is a honeysuckle. Nice job!