PDA

View Full Version : Black Swallowtail Chrysalis

David Gancarz
08-01-2010, 03:26 PM
From our backyard butterfly garden. On a fennel plant, Nikon D300, 105mm macro, ISO 200, F/22, 1/10 sec spot metered. PP included some selective gaussian blur on the OOF leaves on the left side to remove diffraction artifacts.

Julie Kenward
08-01-2010, 04:21 PM
David, isn't it exciting to find something like this?! I think you did a nice job overall - I can see a few small details that would take this up another notch.

First, removing the dead leaf in the BG before shooting the image would have helped. It would be tricky to remove it now in pp but you might be able to do it. Giving the BG a quick "manicure" before you click the shutter (when it's possible) can really help in the long run. I'd also clone out the small white area on the main stem as I find it pulls my eye away from the focal point.

Lastly, I would try to cut the frame on the righthand side so the main stem is at the edge in the URC. In the field you could have angled the camera a bit more to the left and cut that back stem out altogether...here, you'll have to give up a bit of room down the whole side to do it and that might not work - it will be tight!

Love the diffused lighting and the soft green palette that runs throughout the image, though. Hope we get to see him when he finally comes out and says hello!

OvidiuCavasdan
08-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Nice found, like the greens and chrysalis detail/texture. Good advice made by Julie. Agree that when possible some clean up should be done, sometimes the subject will not allow, but this time I think some clean up for a better BG have been nice. On the other side, it shows the habitat and this is also good. Sometimes when founding something interesting like this I also tend to hurry taking pictures and dont think to much about how to improve the image;). Taking images before and after cleaning would give you more options to choose the best image.

Ken Childs
08-02-2010, 08:43 AM
This is good as an environmental shot but I think I'd prefer a cleaner BG. If possible, try using some string to hold the stem away from the rest of the plant so you can choose your own BG.

Alfred Forns
08-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Great comments Agree with Ken on the cleaner shot being preferable but do like how you worked the bg Does have a pleasing feel !!!

Roman Kurywczak
08-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Hey David,
Great advice given above and I too would prefer a cleaner BG. You can use clothespins to hold back other stuff that gets in the way of the BG or the "Plamp"......another option I use is a Fake BG.....picture of some greenery printed on matte paper.......easy and cheap and you don't have to worry about the other stuff!

David Gancarz
08-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks to all for your critiques and comments. As it happens we have two fennel plants; the one with the posted image has a single chrysalis, the other has 3, and there are many more larva still munching away. So there are lots of opportunities to put your C&C's into action!

kostas nianiopoulos
08-02-2010, 09:48 AM
i love the colors of your image David , just the only thing i would like to see more clear BG , maybe u could add some , nice one , well done .

Jonathan Ashton
08-03-2010, 03:46 AM
I think you have a fine image there, I like the natural setting and you have good differential focus. I personally would not do very much at all to modify the image as I think it portrays the setting very well indeed. I agree with Jules regarding the dead leaf and consider a slight crop on the right to reduce the large pale area on the fennel or alternatively tone it down a little. I would leave the curly whorly bit at the base of the chrysalis as I think this was an original anchor point. I feel the OOF trees on the left are sufficiently OOF to be complimentary to the scene - really what is the alternative? Maybe a sea of green or a pale white/grey sky neither of which were the scene any way. I am all for a little digital enhancement if it is required - it is just a matter of opinion when, or if or how much is required.:)