PDA

View Full Version : Black-chinned Hummingbird

Bruce Enns
08-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Well, the hummingbirds have returned from their usual breeding time absence and are now growing fast and starting to fuel up for the trip down south in another month or so...

This is an adult black-chinned female...the background is some bright green bushes with some bright yellow-orange Rudbeckia flowers in the further distance.

Taken from my kitchen window in Castlegar, BC

Canon 7D, 500 f/4 with 1.4x, ISO 800, 1/320s @ f/7.1, PP in LR3 and PSCS5

All comments and critiques are greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Cheers!
Bruce

Tony Whitehead
08-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Sweet BG, pose and feather texture, Bruce. Seems a pity to lose any of that BG but I think a crop from above to raise the bird in the frame strengthens the comp a bit.

Fabs Forns
08-01-2010, 03:30 PM
It is incredible that you can do Hummers out of your kitchen window!!!!
The background really sets the bird off, very sweet palette. I see Tony's point but I'd probably keep the colors at this point.
Thanks for sharing!

Bruce Enns
08-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks Tony and Fabs! Cropping from the top is a definite option for comp but I also really liked the colour combination and didn't want to lose any of that yellow-orange. Yes Fabs, it really is great to be able to take these out my kitchen window...I set up the perches near my feeders and plan the backgrounds. I really liked the possibility of getting some shots with this background, and with a very little bit of effort, made some nice images!

Cheers!
Bruce