PDA

View Full Version : Tree Snail

Connie Mier
08-01-2010, 01:58 PM
I plan to attend Roman's SW Florida macro workshop and thought I would post a photo taken shortly after getting a macro lens last summer. I am sure there are things I could have done differently with this photo and I hope to learn all about that soon. :) In the meantime, please let me know what you think and how I might improve macro technique.
Thanks for looking.
Connie
Sony a700, Sigma 180mm macro
f13, ISO800, 1/160
handheld, no flash
The tree is a rainbow eucalyptus

Roman Kurywczak
08-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Hey Connie,
I think the colors are fantastic and the snail is in a good location compositionally.....but the light here is just a bit too harsh.....why? The bark is a great complimentary BG for the snail....but the lighter areas in it a drawing attention.....a diffuser....or casting a shadow if possible.....would even out the light and makes the brights less harsh and overpowering. Was it possible to move the little guy? If yes....getting him more towards where the bark is more even toned....would have worked a bit better....even in that light as the tones would have been more similar/easier to control. You had decent DOF.....but as the snail was aligned away from you....tough to get the whole thing sharp....getting a better angle....more paralllel to the plane is crucial if you venture down the f-stop scale. Focus point is also critical .....so looking at this it appears the focus point was to the right or slightly behind the snail...macro has very little margin of error at those close focusing distances....that's why I manually focus 99% of my macros. I do recommend most people starting....to use a tripod.....only so that the focus point is removed from the equation.....but I do know it's not only possible! I'm looking forward to sharing more of my tips and techniques when I'm down there in a few weeks.

Steve Maxson
08-01-2010, 02:55 PM
I like the mix of colors, patterns and textures here, Connie. I was going to suggest that using a diffusion screen would have evened out the harsh light for a more pleasing overall effect - but I see Roman beat me to it. :)

Julie Kenward
08-01-2010, 04:14 PM
I also think the colors and textures here are the biggest selling points. I definitely would have moved the little guy so he was in a better placement on the bark - some place where the beige areas didn't show so much as I find them distracting. You're sure to learn a lot with Roman at the helm so polish up that lens and get ready!