PDA

View Full Version : Welcome!

Steve Maxson
08-01-2010, 12:15 PM
This small Crab Spider is in the center of a daisy flower waiting with open arms for any passing fly or small bee that may wish to join her for a meal. Often, a white spider like this will be at the edge of the yellow central portion of the flower where it blends in better with the white petals. 40D, MPE 65mm macro, 1/250, f/16, ISO 100, macro twin flash (diffused). All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
08-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Dang.....I commented but forgot to put reply!
Take 2....
Hey Steve,
This is super! The isolation of the spider on the center puts it over the top! Sharpness and detail is exactly where it needs to be. That being said.....I would prefer this more of a pano....just because I like them tight and feel that the pano crop would accentuate the pose.....just below the 2nd bump on the left and clone/patch the white left over. Again....my preference and doesn't take away from the super comp and presentation of the OP. Great job!:cheers:

Connie Mier
08-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Fantastic and I love that the spider's face is yellow, nicely accessorized!

Steve Maxson
08-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the comments, Roman and Connie. Roman, I like your idea of a pano crop. I had considered this, but thought the isolated patch of white in the ULC would draw the eye - though, as you say, it could be easily be removed with cloning or a quick mask - I may give that a try. :)

Julie Kenward
08-01-2010, 04:11 PM
I actually love the crop the way it is but could also see it as a pano. For me, the only little thing I see that I might change would be to take out the darker lines that run through the white area where the petals meet. I absolutely love the placement of the spider in the frame and the details of the face and body are fantastic. Big winner here, Steve! And you did it with the 65mm! Way to go!

Roman Kurywczak
08-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Hey Jules....the MP-E 65....is the 1-5 macro.

Julie Kenward
08-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Yes, I know...it's also the manual focus only and you better know your stuff lens. ;-)

OvidiuCavasdan
08-02-2010, 01:22 AM
Nice face!:D Good job on whites and details. Very good image!

Ken Childs
08-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Great details and color! I just tried Roman's suggested pano crop and I definitely prefer it that way.

Alfred Forns
08-02-2010, 08:54 AM
I'm still figuring out how you captured the little guy with the MP lens !!! One tough lens to use Have been looking at images made with and might give it a try again ... first few attempts were frustrating !!!

Sharp and excellent highlight detail !!! Big Congrats !!!

Steve Maxson
08-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Hi Alfred. Thanks for the comments. I agree that the MPE lens can be difficult and frustrating - especially hand held with a moving subject. The technique that has given me the best results, thus far, is to grasp the stem or base of a flower with my left hand and then rest the front of the lens on top of that hand. Then the camera and subject are moving in synchrony. I can then focus by moving the lens slightly back and forth on top of my left hand. I can also turn the flower with my fingers to achieve a better angle of view on my subject. Of course, this all requires a cooperative subject and that too can be frustrating. I find that this method tends to work better on windy days when the flowers are moving around in the breeze. Then the critters don't seem to notice as much when I grasp the stem. Yes, frustrating at times, but the payoff can be big when everything works out. :)

I'm still figuring out how you captured the little guy with the MP lens !!! One tough lens to use Have been looking at images made with and might give it a try again ... first few attempts were frustrating !!!

Sharp and excellent highlight detail !!! Big Congrats !!!

Jonathan Ashton
08-03-2010, 03:58 AM
Wow that is a great shot, I agree about the pano version maybe just crop a little from the top and clone the top left corner into yellow and add a little canvas left and right.

Anita Bower
08-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Nice job. Thanks for describing the habits of this spider. I like the repetition of yellow and white in flower and spider.