Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS @ 235mm
Av mode
1/500"
F13
ISO:200
LR & CS3
HH

I've always had problem photographing this flower. When I find them, they're usually surrounded by lots of other vegetation so it's hard to get a good BG. This is my best effort so far.

I cloned out a few unwanted leaves. Blurred the BG a lot and cloned away about a billion little white spots from all over the flowers. The centers of the flowers were brightened a bit with Viveza. Added a light vignette.

Roman Kurywczak
08-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Hey Ken,
These are super tough because 1....even at MAX dof.....not always possible to get them tack. 2...their shape and dark center are exposure nightmares. 3...grow in clusters. Ultimate solution for 1/2/3 is to bring them indoors.....diffused even light.....find a nice BG! Here the light is probably the toughest thing for you to deal with....bright overcast will help....but outdoors....will just kill your SS...or DOF....neither of which you can sacrifice in the great outdoors in this situation.
Bottom line....besides a reflector on the LL side of the bloom.....the best you could do in the situation.

Julie Kenward
08-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Roman's right about the light. I think you did a great job of controlling the reds but the BG is dreary compared to the beauty of this flower. That said, you did an outstanding job of getting the whole darn thing in focus. I think composition-wise this would have been much stronger with it as a vertical...with the bottom of the bud coming in at the LLC and the top bud up by the URC. As is I find myself wanting to see that top bud better even with the other 3 right there in my face.

Ken Childs
08-02-2010, 08:30 AM
These are growing on my neighbor's property and I think my biggest mistake is that I never plan on shooting them in advance. I'm usually out hunting bugs when I come across them.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions. One of these days I'll have to bring some inside to shoot under controlled conditions.

Anita Bower
08-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Despite the harsh light, I think you achieved a good image. The only place the shadows bother me is LLC area. I like the composition and your pp. Good image. Of course, when you take the next one, which will be planned and maybe indoors, it will be perfect!