ISO Speed 400
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Flash On
Flash Type External E-TTL
E-TTL II flash metering Evaluative flash metering
Flash Exposure Compensation -1/3
Shutter curtain sync 1st-curtain sync
AF Mode Manual focusing

Another waterboatman, I have done a little more post processing in this one.
All comments appreciated.

Julie Kenward
08-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Jonathan, in this case, I think going with a vertical presentation would have really added some strength to this image. I feel like there's way too much width and not enough height. Going vertical with his lower body in one of the lower corners and his head towards the opposite top corner would add a diagonal line and give him a little more room up by his head.

I do like seeing all the detail on his body and back but I feel the angle of his eyes/head is just missing the mark. If this were in the Avian forum the Head Angle Police (HAP) would be all over you! :D Still, an interesting image to look at and I can't wait to see the next one.

Nick Palmieri
08-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Agree with Jules. Wish I could see the eyes and head a little better. You have a lot of detail in this guy.

Jim Bridges
08-01-2010, 09:52 AM
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CJ&J%7E1.JIM%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01 %5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:RelyOnVML/> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:Georgia; panose-1:2 4 5 2 5 4 5 2 3 3; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:647 0 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Georgia; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Arial Unicode MS";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> I'm enjoying this series because I've never seen any images of this water bug before. The detail and color of the bug is fascinating to me.
<o>
</o>

Jonathan Ashton
08-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Jules, Nick thanks for the feedback, I respect your comments but I think we are viewing these little beasties from different viewpoints as it were. My little mission is to try to capture what might be a typical underwater scene in an English (or American) pond. I appreciate you suggest the vertical pose to concentrate attention etc but I feel this approach would lose the purpose of my image. I think you are looking at images to see how they may be improved but I also want to capture the moment without losing it through too much digital manipulation. Please don't misunderstand me, I agree with the vast majority of your C&C and I always look forward to receiving them.:)

Roman Kurywczak
08-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Hey Jonathan,
OK....I do think we are looking at this the wrong way;)....so I'm OK with the presentation. I do think this one is stronger.....but while not a card carrying member of HAP.....I do agree on the eyes/position......slightly towards us.....even more parallel. I'd imagine the difficulty on that is a 11 on a scale of 1-10....but nothing wrong with looking for perfection! I'd say you're really close so looking toward the others!

Steve Maxson
08-01-2010, 12:44 PM
I think this is a much stronger image than your previous post, Jonathan. Good sharpness on the backswimmer and the clean water makes a difference. The lighting is also nicely done (the white backs of these insects tend to blow out very easily). I could see cropping some off the left, but I would respectfully disagree with Jules' suggestion to orient the image with the head up because, in my experience, backswimmers always have their head lower than their abdomen - the reason being that they trap air under their wings which makes the back half of their body very buoyant. :)

Jonathan Ashton
08-02-2010, 03:50 AM
Roman, Steve thanks for the feedback, I agree a more head on image would have been better but these little guys are pretty slow at learning how to pose:D. I have a few more different images I will post shortly but first I will post a damselfly by means of a change.