PDA

View Full Version : Hot Water Lily

Nick Palmieri
07-31-2010, 06:38 PM
Shot at Longwood Gardens while Roamin with Roman (again!). HH 70-200mm @ 150mm with 12mm extension tube , ISO 200, SS 1/250, f/14, with external flash on wimberley bracket at -1 1/3. A few blemishes removed in PP, levels to darken the water a bit more, and sharpening.

denise ippolito
07-31-2010, 07:48 PM
Nick, I knew you would be the first to post. Fantastic sharp details and that color-Wow!!! At first I thought maybe off-centering the comp. a bit but the more I look at it the more I like it as is. I might fix up that one petal left/ towards the center a bit if it were mine.

Julie Kenward
08-01-2010, 08:25 AM
That is some incredibly deep and intense color, Nick! I also thought putting the center more to the lower right would work but I also think you did very well with it where it is. You might also take a look at really honing in on just the center area with a bit of the lighter purple leaves to frame it up and make it into a close-up macro of just the center. When you have a strong image like this the possibilities are endless!

Susan Candelario
08-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Hey Nick,
Another one here that said that perhaps off centering the center would of been better, but after looking at it with fresh eyes this morning... like and agree with your compositional decision. The colors and texture are great. Now just tell me... aren't you happy I held on to your belt and did not allow you to fall into the pond to get this image? :D Had a blast yesterday Roamin with Roman, Dave, you and of course my hubby.
~Sue

Nick Palmieri
08-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks guys. Of course I could play with this image, but with the few minors tweaks as noted, this is it "just like that" out of camera. Yes hanging over the edge and leaning in and getting the lily lady to question my sanity makes it worth it. Thanks for not letting go Susan...It was a blast!!

Roman Kurywczak
08-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Hey Nick,
That may have been my favorite water lilly of the day! I explored this one too....with my 100-400 and a dead center comp.....just seemed to work best that way. One I don't think I explored was a vert with more room up top....just something to keep in mind next time out. Colors and sharpness are right on and the delicate folds in the petals make this one for me. Very nicely done!

BTW.....glad to see you figured out the whole upload thing:p.

Susan Candelario
08-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Roman, "glad to see you figured out the whole upload thing" He figured it out " Just like that " :D
Nick, " Thanks for not letting go Susan...It was a blast!!" For a sec there I was kind of tempted, but my stomach already hurt enough from laughing so much. j/k Can't wait for the next Roamin outing with you guys.

Anita Bower
08-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Gorgeous colors and details! Really pops. I agree with Julie's suggestions.