PDA

View Full Version : Choice of tripod and head

Grady Weed
03-07-2008, 11:48 AM
I am 6 ft 6 with a bad back. I am 295 lbs and it is sometimes hard to move around due to very bad spells of Rheumatism and serious migraine headaches. So i need to use a good sturdy tripod and excellent head. My current set up is a moderate tripod from Ritz camera and decent Bogen Ballhead. It is getting to be a pain to use it, literally.

I want to buy the Gitzo GT-5560SGT Giant Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs (No Column) - Supports 55 lbs, with the Wimberley Gimbal Type Tripod Head II - with Arca Swiss-Type Quick Release Base (Requires Plate) from B&H, all for around $1,600. Plus some extra goodies I want to pick up like a soft case for the tripod and head so it will not get banged up will add another $180.

Do you think the choice is a good one? I want to make a first and last purchase with this setup. I own the Canon MK2n, Canon 5D, 28-135, 100-400 and the 100 macro along with the 300 2.8.

I will adding the Canon 500mm IS to the gear bag later this year for my next trip to Florida and possibly to Alaska for the Kodiak's at McNeil River or Kodiak Island.

Gene C. Callison
03-07-2008, 08:21 PM
I think a 3530 SLV with a Gimbal head may be tall enough for you. If it isn't you can add a column kit that will give you about 3 inches more height without raising the column. IMO you don't really need as HD of a tripod as you plan to buy because of the fact that when you are using a gimbal head it completely eliminates the need for high torsional rigidity. I think your shots will be as sharp from a 3530 SLV as they will be from a 5560 with a gimbal head. However if you are going to use a BH with a 3530 and a 500 the torsional rigidity will come into play but I believe the 3530 SLV will still handle it. If you want to save money you can buy an excellent cordura tripod case from Link delight on e-bay for $30 delivered that will fit a 3530 SLV with column kit and BH installed. BTW, the load handling capacity of a tripod is determined by the weight that it will carry without breaking the spider or legs with the legs splayed out at maximum angle like when set up for a close to ground shot. Hope all of this helps. My post is based on saving a few bucks, the 5560 is still going to be more rigid, just more than you might need.

Gene

James Prudente
03-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Grady,

You may want to take a look at the GT3540XLS SERIES 3 SYSTEMATIC 6X CARBON FIBER TRIPOD. Fully extended it's maximum height is 78 inches. It will support the MK IIN, TCs and 500 f4L IS securely with the Wimberley 200 head.

Jim