PDA

View Full Version : Chobe River Ele drink B&W

Marc Mol
07-31-2010, 06:13 AM
I don't attempt a lot of B&W images in nature photography.
However, Elephants lend themselves very well to this format, especially when the light is not in your favour.
Here the different tones and textures are portrayed much better than had they been in colour under the existing lighting conditions.
Taken from a small boat on the Chobe River- Botswana Sept '09, converted with Silver Efix Pro.

D3 500VR 1/350s ISO200@5/5.6

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

http://africaddict.smugmug.com/Nature/Botswana-Sept-2009/d314976bwA/953395531_rt9Td-X2.jpg

Sabyasachi Patra
07-31-2010, 06:40 AM
Marc,
I like the texture in the elephant. I wish you were slightly to the right so that the bright area near the top left could have been avoided. However, it is not easy photographing from a boat and you have done well. The water droplets have come out well. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Kaluski
07-31-2010, 09:30 AM
Guess you are beginning to like this Marc. :D

I like the treatment Marc and as you say, Ele's do lend themselves very well to B/W treatment, but it's a little too contrasty for me and the dark areas are black, perhaps you might like to lighten a fraction in the chest and leg to to give it a bit more detail. I like the POV and you did well from a moving boat. BTW, did you apply any film grain/treatment either to the image?

TFS
Steve
PS Can you keep the height down to 800px please. ;)

Alfred Forns
07-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Even for B&W is tough Marc Lots of contrast but still looks flat at places. Tusk seems dark and could gain some contrast there With scenes shot in B&W (originals) lots can be done to tame contrast and it does have a greater range It is appealing and like it !!

Rachel Hollander
07-31-2010, 02:18 PM
Marc - Agree with other comments. Fine image but the lighting/contrast needs adjustment. Btw I too like b&w ellie photos.

TFS,
Rachel

Marc Mol
07-31-2010, 06:13 PM
Appreciate the comments guys.

Guess you are beginning to like this Marc. :D

BTW, did you apply any film grain/treatment either to the image?

TFS
Steve
PS Can you keep the height down to 800px please. ;)

Thanks Steve
No film/grain treatment applied

Harshad Barve
07-31-2010, 09:14 PM
Beautiful image and can go over the top with suggations above
TFS

Ken Watkins
07-31-2010, 10:08 PM
Marc,

I am going to be controversial here , I think this is pretty good, brings out the skin texture really well.

Sabyasachi pointed out my only problem.

Hilary Hann
08-01-2010, 02:34 AM
Marc, I think elephants are really suited to black and white and this is a good composition either way. I too feel that it is more contrasty than the image needs and would probably be inclined to play with the Nik silver adjustments, especially the green/red filters. Love the water, really comes up well in b&w.

Marc Mol
08-01-2010, 03:19 AM
Marc, I think elephants are really suited to black and white and this is a good composition either way. I too feel that it is more contrasty than the image needs and would probably be inclined to play with the Nik silver adjustments, especially the green/red filters. Love the water, really comes up well in b&w.

Thanks Hilary

I have been playing with those exact filters, but didn't like the result for this particular image. I was actually after the high contrast look to bring out the Ele's skin.
B&W can be a very personal preference thing and open to much interpretation IMO.