PDA

View Full Version : experimenting with styles

Hilary Hann
07-31-2010, 04:39 AM
Just trying out several different effects to get the feel I'm after so interested in any comments. Original a muddy colour so have worked with 2 layers in Nik Silver, the final one using TMax3200 to give the grain I wanted. Slight toning and vignetting. The zebra isn't the focus, just part of the landscape, but I think it is too dark. I went back to re-do him but didn't right down my filter steps and can't reproduce it … big mistake. :confused: Maybe I've gone too far.
Don't know whether techs are necessary for this but they are:
30D; EF70-200@ 200mm; f8; 1/1500; ISO400; +0.5ev

Roman Kurywczak
08-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Hi Hilary,
While this may have gone to far in the PP'ing to be a true landscape and belong more in OOTB.......I will leave it here and copy it over to that forum also after I comment.

Ido think you went a bit too far with the PP'ing......as I like my B&W's to have a large tonal range......or in the case of Kaushik's below.....almost none for a strong graphic look. I don't mind the adding of the film grain to give the feeling of old film....but it is starting to obscure some fine details and make everything a bit flat. Horse as an accent is placed well in the frame.....leading us up the ridge.....but the clouds have lost too much detail in the blown out areas and they immediate draw the eye. The beauty of PS.....is learning from some of the attempts.....and experimenting.......yes writing things down is a big plus......but how do you know you are going to like the final result?......and I think all of us have been guilty on that one!
This has potential if the sky isn't blown out....so worth a re-visit.

Dave Mills
08-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi Hilary, Agree with Roman's comments and also feel this is a candidate for OOTB.
When this much alteration of reality is processed very often subjectivity comes strongly into play. Do I like the heavy grain? I'm not attracted to that look but it doesn't mean others aren't.
The foreground is a bit dark and obscures some of the interesting features located there.
I do like the horse and believe it's an important element that stands out against areas that are somewhat blended.
I laud your creativity and one should always be experimenting...

Hilary Hann
08-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Thank you both very much for excellent feedback. Will revisit the original and see if I can make improvements.

Hilary Hann
08-02-2010, 07:22 AM
Here is a re-post. Taken out the film grain and reworked the underlying layers using duotones and blending to keep as much detail as possible. I've lost a bit of the drama I was aiming for but I think I've increased detail. In case you are wondering, I've included the full frame this time. Would be interested if either of you feel it is an improvement. Thanks for the feedback. I'll post the re-do in OOTB as well.

Roman Kurywczak
08-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Hey Hilary,
I prefer the OP crop too on the sky....clone patch the bush behind the zebra.....I do like it better....has a vintage look.....many directions you could go with this one.

Dave Mills
08-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Hilary, I also like the OP crop. Agree with liking the "vintage" look far better than the grainy look.
The vignette works but possibly a bit more blended....

Hilary Hann
08-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks, all round agreement in both forums for the OP crop so I'll do that. Will work with the vignette as well. Many, many thanks. You are all wonderful! :)

Arthur Morris
08-03-2010, 07:03 PM
I will be the odd man out here on both counts; no shock there :) I prefer the original post and am fine with this being posted in Landscape. It would also fit into OOTB but it is a landscape. Lightening only the hill surrounding the zebra in the ORIG might work....

Hilary Hann
08-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks Artie for taking a look. My husband will be pleased as he preferred the original with grain. I've actually gone to print with this one on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin using the original crop, lightening around the zebra (I concur with you on this and I think it looked good), removing the grain but increasing the detail in the foreground. I am really pleased with the outcome although I may print with grain as well, but with some adjustments. As far as I'm concerned it is almost 'exhibition' ready and I REALLY appreciate all the comments both for and against different aspects. Clarity in thought comes after challenge. :)

PS Maybe that will become my motto! :)

Morkel Erasmus
08-07-2010, 08:46 AM
nice one Hilary - kind of see what you were going for...prefer the repost to the OP, just watch that halo around the first ridge and zebra - looks too much like "sloppy" processing IMHO?

Hilary Hann
08-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks Morkel