PDA

View Full Version : Shooting in very high humidity

Deborah Hanson
07-30-2010, 08:50 PM
A new one for me (I normally have extremes in temperature) -
Today I went out to shoot at a rookery. The humidity was extreme.
The front of the lens kept getting fogged up. Is there any hints that anyone can give me when this happens again?

Thanks in advance.

Alfred Forns
07-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Need to keep the lens in the trunk of the car Deborah !!! If you keep it in the AC try using a hair blower to warm it up, works !!!

William Malacarne
07-30-2010, 09:05 PM
To keep moisture from collecting on it place it in a zip lock bag wherever you are at and leave it in that bag until you get to your new location and the temperature has stabilized. This may take a fairly long time. Then when you leave repeat the process again.

Bill

Added

Remember there will also be some moisture in the air that is inside the camera.

Alan Lillich
07-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Deborah,

The problem is that taking a colder camera into warmer humid air can cause condensation on the camera. In summer taking a camera from cool inside A/C to hot humid outside can do this. In winter taking a camera from cold outside to warm humid inside can do this. Alfred is essentially saying keep the camera at the shooting temperature. Bill is saying put the cool camera in a plastic bag (get the excess air out of the bag) and let it warm up - the condensation forms on the outside of the bag.

hope this helps,
Alan

Deborah Hanson
07-31-2010, 12:05 AM
Thanks everyone. During the winter I am careful to keep the camera in the bag going into and out of the car or house (leaving it in the bag until it warms up at the house/not using heat in the car when shooting from the car). I guess I didn't think this time. It was about a 20 minute hike to the spot and I thought that would be enough. I was there about 1-1/2 hours and had problems almost the whole time with the lens fogging. I am not used to this amount of humidity in North Dakota. I do have the desiccant paks in the camera bag and hope that is ok.

Thanks again
Deb

Arthur Morris
08-11-2010, 03:52 PM
When headed out to a warm humid site you cannot keep your lens air conditioned the night before.... Cold to warm is death. Once you do it, point your lens to the sun, be patient, and wipe down the front element every few minutes....