PDA

View Full Version : White Ibis juvenile

Bob Pelkey
07-30-2010, 12:26 AM

White Ibis juvenile at San Carlos Bay: Bunche Beach Preserve
Fort Myers, Florida USA

The bird surprisingly offered me the opportunity to photograph it yawning or
attempting to regurgitate something as it walked in either direction. An uncommon
behavior for sure.

Tripod, cropped and sharpened. A rare occasion I took a wildlife shot without
adjusting the exposure bias. A fortuitous decision as I wasn't compelled to make any
other modifications in post processing (brightness, contrast typically). The image was
captured with natural light alone and the only regret I have is that I would like a little
more room on the bottom which I don't have to offer. Uploaded at 192KB.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II (http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/eos_5d_mark_ii) ,Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS USM (http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_600_4is)
1/320s f/7.1 at 840.0mm iso800
Shot in JPEG.
<table width="450" align="center" border="1" cellpadding="1"><tbody><tr><td class="sb" colspan="2">Full EXIF Info</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Date/Time</td><td class="lid">22-Jul-2010 19:56:40</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Make</td><td class="lid">Canon</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Model</td><td class="lid">Canon EOS 5D Mark II</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Flash Used</td><td class="lid">No</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Focal Length</td><td class="lid">840 mm</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Exposure Time</td><td class="lid">1/320 sec</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Aperture</td><td class="lid">f/7.1</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">ISO Equivalent</td><td class="lid">800</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Exposure Bias</td><td class="lid">
</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">White Balance</td><td class="lid">
</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Metering Mode</td><td class="lid">matrix (5)</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">JPEG Quality</td><td class="lid">
</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Exposure Program</td><td class="lid">aperture priority (3)</td></tr></tbody></table>

Randy Stout
07-30-2010, 07:11 AM
Bob:

Really nice light, sharp, well exposed, open bill a plus as is rear foot up, slight angle towards us.
Pleasant BG too.

Agree about a bit more below, but still well done.

Randy

Arthur Morris
07-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Love the yellow-orange lores and eye skin, the open bill, the SH, and the perfect (fortuitous?) EXP. The shoreline cutting the back/neck could have been avoided by getting lower--on the ground would have been killer. And yes to a bit more room below.

Stu Bowie
07-30-2010, 09:16 AM
I like the soft light, colours, and the open bill puts this up a notch higher. Another vote for more room below.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-30-2010, 11:03 AM
I like the light, calling and walking pose. Extending the canvas at the bottom should not be a big problem.

Connie Mier
07-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Beautiful shot, love the lighting and one of my favorite birds too.

Nico Steenberg
07-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Great light and the open beak make this for me. IMG is sharp and well exposed with good DOF. Well done !

Dan Busby
07-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Very nice Bob. Great lighting, good eye detail and the action beak bring this all together. I would wish for the line in the BG to not cut through the bird's head but that is minor.