PDA

View Full Version : Downloader Pro vs Lightroom 3

Roger Williams
07-29-2010, 09:43 PM
I've used Downloader Pro for downloading my images for about three years and really like it along with Breezebrowser for reviewing those images. Now, I'm considering the purchase of Lightroom 3 which will be an entirely new experience since I've not owned any previous version of this program. I understand LR-3 has a more sophisticated downloading program than previous versions. So, the question I have is whether to continue to use DP after installing LR-3 or simply use the latter. What do you use and why??

Thanks -

roger

Rocky Sharwell
07-30-2010, 06:48 AM
I am a mac person now but formally used DL Pro when I was a Windows sort of guy. I have used LR since 2.0 was released.
I now use Photomechanic for some of the things I used to do with DL Pro.

If I have been out shooting birds or other wildlife in which I suspect the delete rate will be high I do an initial edit with Photomechanic. Photomechanic is fast to go through images ( a lot like BB) and get rid of the awful stuff and out of focus blobs. I then import into LR.

If I am out shooting scenics/landscape I typically import straight into LR--usually choosing 1:1 previews which really slows things down.
I highly recommend Nat Coalson's new LR3 book if you decide to take the plunge...

Brent Stephenson
08-01-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm about to take the plunge to LR3, currently using LR2.6 and DL Pro & BB Pro. To be honest I never understood why anyone would standby and wait for what might be 2000 images shot in a day to download and import into LR directly. Perhaps my keeper rate is less than most, but if you then have to turn around and delate even half of them you have wasted a heck of a lot of time importing images you then have to delete. Unless they have drastically changed the import procedure in LR3 I can't see myself using any other system than downloading with DL Pro, deleting the chaff with BB Pro and then renaming with BB Pro before importing into LR.
Cheers,
Brent

Chris Sloan
08-02-2010, 09:46 AM
The import procedure in LR3 is vastly improved. However, I still use DL Pro because I geo-tag my photos and LR3's functionality in this area is (for practical purposes) non-existent.