PDA

View Full Version : Parent/chick Interaction - Black-legged kittiwake

Jory Griesman
07-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Just trying to beat the end of July deadline for this theme. Taken at Cape St. Mary's, Newfoundland. Some of neck feathers perhaps clipped. Parent's eye not ideal. Chick refused to turn around, but head turn isn't too bad. Liked the interaction, however.

Nikon D700, 600 mm f/4 lens with 1.7 TC
1/160 sec, f/6.7, ISO 250, aperture priority

Arthur Morris
07-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Good EXP and you can see the eyes of both. But I am not sure what the interaction is... What "clipped Neck feathers." I am just a bit confused.

Aidan Briggs
07-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Nice habitat and soft light. Some of the neck does seem blown out. I might go for less of a square crop here.

Looking forward to more!!

Fabs Forns
07-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Congrats on getting the chick to show so well, although he seems passed out for now :)
Great EXP control, and the little habitat shown is very attractive, thanks very much for sharing and congrats on getting a clear day at the Cape.

Jory Griesman
07-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Artie, by clipped, I mean blown highlights/whites. Fabs July interaction, I thought, referred to interacting parents with their chick(s).

Fabs, unfortunately, my day at the Cape was not so clear. We had to wait out 4 hours of fog in the morning, followed by rain most of the day!

Arthur Morris
07-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Artie, by clipped, I mean blown highlights/whites. Fabs July interaction, I thought, referred to interacting parents with their chick(s).

Thanks Jory. I figured out the clipped (highlights) afterwards... As for interaction, there really is none; the adult is preening and the chick is sacking :) Just like I am gonna do very soon.

Alfred Forns
07-29-2010, 08:35 PM
Like it a lot Jory Bg is sweet and chick/parent have good feather reproduction .. don't mind the square crops since its what fits best !!!

Axel Hildebrandt
07-30-2010, 11:15 AM
I really like the mood, setting and whites look good here. As for the crop, I would make it less square. Thanks for sharing!

Nico Steenberg
07-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Great sighting and exposure. Like the sharpness and colours TFS