PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Wood-Pewee

Dan Busby
07-29-2010, 04:08 PM
I went into an opening in the woods looking to photograph a very vocal Song Sparrow and came across this bird hawking for insects. After awhile, it landed in this non-typical but very attractive perch for a rest.

I had a hard time deciding on composition. This shot is a crop of about 25% and I have some room on both sides to re-frame. I usually like more room in the direction the bird is looking so I gave it space to the right. Was it the right choice?

Canon 7D, 500F4 IS@5.6, 1/500, ISO 400, AP+0.3

All C&C welcome.

Dan

Randy Stout
07-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Dan:

Very nice bird, like the interesting perch, well exposed, sharp on head and eye.
There is something a little funny looking in the background to the right of tail, just at edge of rock. Plus what looks like a sharpening halo around the bird in some areas.

Yes, the bird is looking to the right, but mainly forward, so I would crop it more vertically. Repost is just an option. I liked the yellow lichen, so left some in.

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
07-29-2010, 06:42 PM
I like Randy's crop and the original. And the BKGR except for the black smudge that was mentioned. Perhaps adding BLACKs to the WHITEs of the rock would cut down on the brightness/reflectance.

Fabs Forns
07-29-2010, 07:20 PM
I like the rocks and lichen very much and also think both crops work well. Great head turn and wish the bill didn't end exactly at the same place as the neck. Nice eye contact and thanks for sharing.

Aidan Briggs
07-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Lovely soft light, pose, and BG. I like Randy's crop and agree on darkening the perch.

Keep them coming!!

Dan Busby
07-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the comments. The "rock" is actually all the same log that the bird is perched on. I will tone it down a bit more (already had done some). The black smudge came from a diagonal oof branch in the BG and I didn't clean it up as well as I should have where it met the log. But will do. Thanks for comments on comp. I like Randy's more vertical look as well as the original.

Alfred Forns
07-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Both crops work well but prefer the tighter crop in this case Sweet pose and a great bg !!!

Axel Hildebrandt
07-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Pose, sharpness and soft light make this one for me. A slightly tighter crop looks good, too.

Nico Steenberg
07-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Super pose and details. Like the pose and bg. IMG is sharp and well exposed with great colours !