Av( Aperture Value ) 11.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 100
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode AI Focus AF

I took this image in the back garden, these little flowers grow in the lawn.

Julie Kenward
07-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Nicely done! I feel the composition is very strong here even with the flower going straight up and down. You took an exceptionally sharp photo and the detail is mesmerizing. I love these little wildflowers - they are every bit as interesting as a rose or a lily.

Only suggestion I can come up with for improvement would be to clone out the discolored area on the front leaf edge if that's something you don't have an objection to. Beautiful BG and lovely greens in this image. ;)

Roman Kurywczak
07-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Hey Jonathan,
I'm not so fond of the straight centered comp......but you nailed everything else.....so hard to complain! This liitle flower is tiny....and I have tons of them!!!.....so for inspiration alone...you deserve kudos! I'm with Jules on the slight clone....but a very nice job overall!!!

Jonathan Ashton
07-30-2010, 02:41 AM
Thank you for the feedback - glad you liked it, the background is the lawn, I placed the flower in a small tripod that has a small peg on it to hold subjects such as this.

Ken Childs
07-30-2010, 07:42 AM
Jon, I agree with what's already been said and will add that there are a couple of minor spots in the BG that could be smoothed or cloned out. The most obvious one is in the UL. Maybe it's just some dust that was on the lens or camera sensor. Other than that, this looks great!

Jonathan Ashton
07-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Jon, I agree with what's already been said and will add that there are a couple of minor spots in the BG that could be smoothed or cloned out. The most obvious one is in the UL. Maybe it's just some dust that was on the lens or camera sensor. Other than that, this looks great!

Quite right Ken, I must double check before I post, you guys really do look hard at these images;)

Mike Moats
07-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Hey Jon, you nail the details, and as pointed out this is a small flower low on the ground and very tough to shoot. On the bottom left leaf you see the color has blow out from the overhead lighting, when you are in this situation next time place a diffuser over the leaf to cut down on the light and you will get the color back.

Anita Bower
07-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Lovely! I like the delicate colors, the details, the composition. Thanks for sharing how you shot it--being held by tripod. What type of PP did you do? I don't mind the straight up and down position. Very nice.

Anita Bower
07-30-2010, 11:56 AM
On the bottom left leaf you see the color has blow out from the overhead lighting, when you are in this situation next time place a diffuser over the leaf to cut down on the light and you will get the color back.
Mike:
This is a good suggestion. I sometimes have this problem with my images. However, I don't notice it until later when I'm looking at the image on the computer monitor. How do you notice such small details out in the field?

Jonathan Ashton
07-31-2010, 03:43 AM
Anita I do as much as possible in Adobe RAW followed by photoshop usually Highlights Shadows or Curves followed sometimes Selective Colour to add a little "pop".
Mike again now it has been pointed out I see what you mean - it didn't occur to me at the time. The leaf isn't blown as in pixels popping but I agree it could do with being a little darker. I have learned a few valuable pointers from this image, thanks to everyone.