PDA

View Full Version : Kalahari scorpion

Vincent Grafhorst
03-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Scorpion (Parabuthus stridulus). These guys are only one of the reasons why you should always have your tent zipped up when camping in the kalahari.:D

This image is a result of team work, my little brother-in-law was lighting the scorpion with a torch from behind to get a shadow of the tail. I was forced to shoot handheld and unfortunately had to increase the ISO to 1600 to get an acceptable SS.

I know it is evident that it was made at night with the help of a torch and as a result does not look natural, yet I like it. Please let me know what you think.

Image made last December in the Central Kalahari Game Reserve, Botswana

Camera Model Canon EOS 40D
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/125
Av( Aperture Value ) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation -1
ISO Speed 1600
Lens EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Focal Length 100.0 mm
Image Size 3888x2592, cropp is app. 80% of original
Image Quality RAW
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Color Temperature(5200K)
AF Mode One-Shot AF

Vincent Grafhorst
www.khwaiphotography.com (http://www.khwaiphotography.com)

Tony Kirkby
03-07-2008, 04:30 PM
I should probably say it has too many shadows isn't sharp enough etc but I like the sinister feeling it conveys. Nice shot.

Robert O'Toole
03-07-2008, 11:29 PM
The strong lighting works for me with this image, its does look sinister doesnt it. DOF is difficult on a subject like this, I think the face, eyes, and stinger look sharp enough. If the claws were sharper we would lose on the face and stinger.
I like it.

Robert

Ramon M. Casares
03-08-2008, 02:16 PM
I like the lighting a lot, maybe you could try working on the white blance so it doesn'y look so warm, but overall, I love it! Congratulations.

Don Lacy
03-09-2008, 06:10 PM
He does look deadly, given the circumstances I think this turn out well.

Mike Moats
03-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Hey Vincent, very cool pose and good DOF. I agree with Ramon on the warm look. Well done.

Bob Reimer
03-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Nice scorpion! I wonder if it would be worth checking the colour temperature of your torch with a grey card to see if you could get a more accurate colour balance? Have you tried a UV torch? It might be scary how many of the fluorescing little critters you find :)

Vincent Grafhorst
03-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Hi Bob, it is definitely on my to do list to photograph these critters with UV light. Have you done so? You must have many scorpions around there in the deserts of the Emirates!

Bob Reimer
03-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Yes, I've tried it ... Here it is: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3293

There are some new LED UV flashlights available that look very useful: They're on my shopping list for when I'm back in North America this summer.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
03-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Great image, hope you don't mind I tried adjusting the colours in colour balance and it made an enormous difference, I have removed the image from my PC.
Jon