Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Av mode
1/125"
F13
ISO:400
LR & CS3
Tripod

These are the best Dragons for getting close-ups. Once the population explodes in the heat of summer, they spread out and you will find them far from water, perched on just about anything.

I cloned over a few highlights on his face and painted over the brighter areas of the perch.

I don't often use a tripod but I got a new one last week as a birthday present so I'm giving it a try. It has a pistol grip head which is something I've found that I like a lot.

If you want to get a chuckle, take this shot, paint some pupils in the catchlights on the eyes and paint on some eyeglasses. :D

Julie Brown
07-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Excellent detail on the head, Ken. I like the 'whiskers'. :D I use a pistol grip head with my spotting scope.

Charles Wesley
07-29-2010, 06:40 AM
Ken,

Like the detail for such a magnified image. Really good work. Thanks for sharing...

Julie Kenward
07-29-2010, 09:53 AM
First, happy belated birthday Ken! What brand/model of tripod head did you end up getting?

Love the up close facial portrait here. There a small white area at the base of the right wing I might clone out. Everything else is super! I like your choice of a narrow depth of field here, putting all the emphasis on his face and barely showing us his wings.

Ken Childs
07-29-2010, 10:07 AM
First, happy belated birthday Ken! What brand/model of tripod head did you end up getting?
Thanks, Jules.
It's a Sunpak Pro 523px2. Nothing fancy but it's sturdy enough to support anything I'll ever be able to afford. :)

Kaushik Balakumar
07-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Excellent details and sharpness. Amazing close-up.
Might rotate the image CCW to straighten the 'tilted' DF.

Roman Kurywczak
07-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Hey Ken,
Very cool portrait! Happy B-day and enjoy the new toy! I'm borderline if the eyes have been over sharpened.....but they do look cool and the in your face presentation is one of my favorites. The whole glasses thing has me thinking..."men in black"